We are PEAK6, a leading investment firm. You'll find us headquartered in the historic Chicago Board of Trade building, where we first opened our doors in 1997. It's been over 20 years since we were one of the first firms to develop sophisticated proprietary technology to use in our trading business. Today, we continue to leverage our technical ingenuity and operational excellence across several investment areas, spanning early-to-mid stage growth capital, operational control, trading, and e-sports, while always proving value to the customer. Throughout the years, we've built and operated several financial technology firms, and we continue to evolve. You'll find a bit of everything here, and we're always looking to take on new endeavors.
As the Senior DevOps Engineer for PEAK6 Technologies, you’ll have a big impact on the firm across several entities. You’ll manage and shape and manage how we deploy our software and have genuine opportunities to impact the firm. This is a role for someone who flourishes in a fast paced environment, who can work with minimal direction, and has a solid understanding of what cloud technologies and kubernetes. This role will report into the Vice President of Engineering who reports directly into the COO of PEAK6 Technologies.
What you’ll do all day:
- Work with internal and external partners to ensure the proper operation of the new PEAK6 platform.
- Think through hard problems and solve them at all layers of the enterprise
- Automate tasks to drive consistency, reduce complexity and eliminate human involvement where ever possible
- Design and implement front-end systems to empower users to configure, deploy, and control their own production processes and pipelines
- Ensure that systems are properly monitored
- Ensure systems are documented and can be easily maintained by all team members
- Ensure disaster recovery solutions are in place, tested and well documented
- Work as a part of small, productive development team that puts an emphasis on code quality, peer reviews and strong engineering practices
What you need to succeed:
- A degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or other demanding engineering degree (or equivalent work experience)
- At least three years of professional experience working as a part of a multi-person engineering team that utilizes cloud based technologies, CI pipelines and peer reviews
- Experience with major aspects of cloud computing, like storage, backups, compute resources, autoscaling concerns
- Experience in Kubernetes and running Kubernetes in the cloud
- Demonstrated ability to work with a distributed team
- Ability to learn new and unfamiliar technologies quickly, as required
- Strong understanding of VPCs and general networking configurations that go along with having hybrid on-prem and cloud solutions
- Experience in using configuration management tools such as Ansible and Terraform
- Experience with monitoring stacks such as ELK or others