DevOps Engineer at Morningstar
Technology drives our business. Our team is made up of talented software engineers, infrastructure engineers, leaders and UX professionals. We care about technology as a craft and a differentiator. We bring our global products to market with a mix of software, cloud, data centers, infrastructure, design and grit.
Our Product Groups:
Individual Investor – building products like Morningstar.com and mobile apps for individuals like yourself
Institutional Investor – developing some of our flagship products like Morningstar Direct for institutional investors and our Advisor products for financial advisors
Workplace – this is where we build and provide our hosted digital advice platform for Retirement plans, 401K’s, etc. (what some call robo-advisors)
Data – this is the heart of Morningstar where all data is sourced, collected, transformed, calculated and distributed across the world
DevOps engineering plays a critical role in modern software development and engineering. It is an integral part of the software development life cycle. In this role, you will collaboratively and iteratively provide a CI/CD platform around which our teams can maturely deploy applications to public cloud. You will have opportunities to utilize your CI/CD knowledge to interact and collaborate with diverse teams, and to establish an at scale CI/CD platform in Amazon Web Services.
Day To Day
* Define requirements and develop tools and reporting as needed by projects and operations.
* Collaborate with multiple software development teams globally to provide, and iterate on, an enterprise scale public cloud CI/CD platform
* Work in a diverse technical environment to establish, advocate, and provide patterns for the CI/CD platform
* Work with products to define application hardening and define opportunities for chaos engineering.
* Use operational tools and monitoring platforms to gain in-depth knowledge, understanding, and ongoing monitoring of system availability, performance, and capacity.
* Work with business partners to establish Service Level Indicators and Objectives (SLIs and SLOs)
* Write and execute build/deployment scripts/tasks
* Set up and maintain software development tools spanning source control, continuous integration/delivery, code review, etc.
* Implement alerting strategy that makes alerts actionable and unique.
* Stay current on emerging technologies
* Strong knowledge of build, release, and configuration management practices
* AWS working experience and/or certification(s) is a plus
* Passionate about staying current on trends and best practices in software development
* Knowledge of source control tools (Git, CodeCommit, SVN, and TFS), build/release tools (Jenkins, CodeBuild, CodeDeploy, CodePipeline), and infrastructure as code tools (Terraform, CloudFormation)
* Programing experience/skills in popular languages such as Python, Java, C#, PHP, Ruby, or PowerShell, etc.
* Knowledge of monitoring tools and strategy.
* Experience running incident postmortems.
* Working knowledge of Linux and Windows
* Strong grasp of Configuration Management (Chef, Puppet, Ansible, Salt Stack)
* Embrace collaboration, open communication and reaching across functional borders
* A bachelor’s degree in computer science/engineering or related fields is required; a master degree is preferred
*2+ years of work experience
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.