DevOps Engineer at CraftJack
We are looking for a DevOps Engineer to join our engineering team at CraftJack and build our infrastructure automation from the ground up. We will look to you to lead us in our efforts to create infrastructure to streamline development and deployment of our applications. You will be responsible for working to scale out our systems through bleeding-edge technology for a company striving for personal and team development.
What is the vision for this role?
We are a small team of experienced software and QA engineers and are looking for someone with expertise in how we can better support our business through AWS automation. CraftJack is growing and we want to tackle problems before they happen and invest in our future. Right now we run everything on AWS. We have been able to support ourselves with minimal experience in automation but are ready to cast aside old habits. A great fit for this role is someone who is ready to take an active part in architecting and building automation that can help our team produce software more efficiently and reliably. We don’t have much in place so you would be the person making and implementing decisions.
What will you do?
- Software releases on a (currently) biweekly basis. We would love to release more but currently we release after every 2 week sprint.
- Work to create a continuous delivery pipeline to automatically push code through the environments using tools available in AWS and other services.
- Deploy, debug, and optimize our dev, test, and production Windows/Linux instances.
- Own and maintain the production infrastructure - patches, backups, upgrades, AMI’s, and security
- Work to create tools to allow development teams to self-serve their platform needs
- Daily interaction with developers and participation in the development process
- Develop automation for deploying, scaling and maintaining the cloud primarily using an automation tool (like Puppet, Chef, Ansible)
- Investigate new open source tools and technologies to add new services or help improve our operational excellence.
- Train fellow co-workers on best deployment practices and support them in using the cloud. We are quick learners and ready to tackle new challenges.
What is the team like?
- We want to use the best tool for the job… if there is something better then let's try it.
- We are Agile and work in two-week sprints.
- We are disciplined when it comes to testing. We have a large suite of automated tests covering our web, backend, and mobile applications.
- We want to have fun at work. Work hard, play hard.
- We spend time to train new people who join the team and adjust how we work together via retrospectives.
What would be my career trajectory?
As a company we have a very flat hierarchy. Your direct manager will be Ryan Ferretti (https://www.linkedin.com/in/ryanferretti) and his boss is our general manager, Chris Brown (https://www.linkedin.com/in/brown784). If you care about building experience by releasing automation, accomplishing goals, and learning new things, this is the right place for you. If you care about titles and meetings, this is not the right place for you. Our belief is there will always be “the next job” so push yourself to learn and grow in the time you are here.
What is work like at CraftJack?
CraftJack is an emerging online referral service that is an operating brand of HomeAdvisor, the leading online marketplace helping homeowners and home service professionals connect.
Think of CraftJack as a startup without all of the risks: no late (or missed) paychecks, no need to find your own expensive health insurance plan, no working for a tiny fraction of your market value. It also means no corporate atmosphere with strict dress code, no watered-down coffee, and no stuffy bureaucracy to drown out your ideas. We value every team member and if we hire you, it’s because we think you can do great things with us.
We aren’t going to sugar-coat everything. We have our challenges like every other business. Where we separate ourselves is having the willingness and motivation to take our challenges head-on before they grow.
Where is the office?
This is for a full time position in our Evanston office. We do allow remote work when you need it (we are currently all remote right now given the Covid-19 restrictions). We have a take-as-you-need vacation policy because we know how important it is for everyone to be refreshed when they come to work.
If you’re excited about joining a collaborative, high-impact team, send us your resume to start the conversation.