Director, Application Development Card/Bank at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With Discover, you’ll have the chance to make a difference at one of the world’s leading digital banking and payments companies. From Day 1, you’ll do meaningful work you’re passionate about, with the support and resources you need for success. We value what makes each employee unique and provide a collaborative, team-based culture that gives everyone an opportunity to shine. Be the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future, while building the future you want, here at Discover.Job Description
Discover Financial Services:
Discover Financial Services (NYSE: DFS) is a direct banking and payment services company with one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. Since its inception in 1986, the company has become one of the largest card issuers in the United States. The company issues the Discover card, America's cash rewards pioneer, and offers private student loans, personal loans, home equity loans, checking and savings accounts and certificates of deposit through its direct banking business. It operates the Discover Global Network comprised of Discover Network, with millions of merchant and cash access locations; PULSE, one of the nation's leading ATM/debit networks; and Diners Club International, a global payments network with acceptance around the world. For more information, visit www.discover.com/company
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is focused on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Technology and People First Approach
Discover has embarked on an exciting technology journey led by a new passionate and energized CIO who is looking to elevate our technology organization to be one of “best in class”. Our culture places its people and customers first and embraces a “we succeed together” mentality. With this, we are seeking a variety of results driven executives to continue to drive change across all areas of the technology function.
These leaders will have a strong engineering mindset, a passion for innovation, and the ability to build strong partnerships at all levels across our enterprise. We are looking for individuals to leverage Agile methodology and eliminate redundancies that will allows our teams to strive for excellence. With our expanding technology organization, we are proactively seeking top talent to join our team to help us create an unrivaled customer experience.
The Director of Application Development is responsible for working with cross-functional business leaders, peers and technology leadership to ensure our systems are positioned for the growth of the company. They will be responsible for defining and delivering technology strategies that enables DFS Bank and Card business lines to achieve aggressive growth goals.
This leader is expected to deliver the highest performance levels in terms of application services and support; correctly aligning the team, effectively managing third party suppliers, improving levels of service and upgrading the environment.
- Set the strategy for the software development approaches and methodologies in a dynamic, demanding environment.
- Set and deliver the application development strategies, managing the architecture and development of various software projects to deliver on-time and innovative solutions.
- Monitor emerging technology trends and best practices for new opportunities to assure optimum team performance.
- Serve as the subject matter expert in Software Engineering and Management around processes, tools, technology, controls, and monitoring.
- Translate technology challenges and opportunities to key business stakeholders to gain buy-in and determine prioritization.
- Ensure consistent technical solutions and agile methodology adoption throughout the department.
- Provides leadership, coaching, and mentorship to direct reports to foster a culture of excellence and continuous learning.
- Bachelor’s Degree Required. Masters Preferred.
- 10+ years of experience in Technology with an emphasis on Application Development, Computer Science, Software Development, Programming or related experience.
- 5+ years of experience within software development; with experience implementing agile methodologies.
- Proven ability to coach, mentor and lead teams to success.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.