Director, Cloud Infrastructure Engineering at Gemini (Chicago, IL or Remote)
Empower the Individual Through Crypto
Gemini is a crypto exchange and custodian that allows customers to buy, sell, store, and earn more than 30 cryptocurrencies like bitcoin, bitcoin cash, ether, litecoin, and Zcash. Gemini is a New York trust company that is subject to the capital reserve requirements, cybersecurity requirements, and banking compliance standards set forth by the New York State Department of Financial Services and the New York Banking Law. Gemini was founded in 2014 by twin brothers Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss to empower the individual through crypto.
Crypto is about giving you greater choice, independence, and opportunity. We are here to help you on your journey. We build crypto products that are simple, elegant, and secure. Whether you are an individual or an institution, we want to help you buy, sell, and store your bitcoin and cryptocurrency. Crypto is not just a technology, it's a movement.
At Gemini, our mission is to empower the individual and that includes giving our employees flexibility of choice — our Office Optional Policy allows employees to choose to work from one of our physical locations or from home.
Select roles that are location-specific will still be eligible for flexible schedules.
The Department: Platform
Our Platform Organization’s purpose is to enable Gemini to scale effectively and empower our engineering teams to focus on building innovative financial products and experiences for individuals around the world.
The Role: Director, Cloud Infrastructure Engineering
As the Director of Cloud Infrastructure Engineering you will be leading the lowest layer of our Platform organization. Your team will be delivering and operating the foundational cloud environment spanning both AWS and private data centers. This foundational infrastructure layer powers Gemini’s growing financial services and comprises our compute platform, data services, service mesh, cloud provisioning and networking stack. With users and engineers around the world - reliability, scalability, efficiency and high availability are our team's core concerns.
- Manage and grow a world-class team focused on providing a highly reliable infrastructure foundation to Gemini and the broader Platform organization.
- Partner cross functionally with engineering and other central technology teams (Platform & Infosec) on defining and executing the vision for how to deliver secure infrastructure at Gemini.
- Build and enhance our Kubernetes-based compute platform spanning both AWS and private data centers.
- Develop a data architecture and database strategy to allow engineers to interact with data serverlessly while confirming to our highest security standards and ensuring data compliance.
- Enhance our global network architecture across all networking layers to ensure seamless and secure hybrid cloud networking.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience of leading Platform engineering teams
- Deeply experienced in the development and operations of a Kubernetes-based orchestration platform across AWS and private clouds.
- Proficient in working with Relational, NoSQL, and In-memory databases like Postgres, AWS Aurora, DynamoDB, Redis, and Elasticache
- Experience of building software/frameworks for infrastructure automation and orchestration, like Terraform, Ansible, Salt, etc.
- Strong fundamentals in distributed systems design and development.
- Experience with Agile & DevOps methodologies, tools and measurement practices.
- Deep understanding of modern software development practices, like. CI/CD, service instrumentation, and global software distribution.
- Solid organizational skills, attention to detail, exceptional communication skills, and proven ability to manage multiple projects with competing timelines.
It Pays to Work Here
We take a holistic approach to compensation at Gemini, which includes:
- Competitive Compensation and Profit-Sharing Equity
- Flexible vacation policy
- Retirement Plan Matching
- Generous Parental leave
- Comprehensive health plans
- Training and professional development
At Gemini, we strive to build diverse teams that reflect the people we want to empower through our products, and we are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. Equal Opportunity is the Law, and Gemini is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and affirmative action employer. If you have a specific need that requires accommodation, please let a member of the People Team know.