Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
Discover Financial Services (DFS) is a direct banking and payment services company with one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. Since its inception in 1986, the company has become one of the largest card issuers in the United States. The company issues the Discover card, America's cash rewards pioneer, and offers private student loans, personal loans, home equity loans, checking and savings accounts and certificates of deposit through its direct banking business. It operates the Discover Global Network comprised of Discover Network, with millions of merchant and cash access locations; PULSE, one of the nation's leading ATM/debit networks; and Diners Club International, a global payments network with acceptance in 190 countries and territories.
Discover’s vision is to be the leading direct bank and payments partner and its mission is to help people spend smarter, manage debt better and save more so they achieve a brighter financial future.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
As part of Discover Business Technology (BT), you will be an influencing member of the Senior Leadership team for the Digital Payments domain. This domain, supporting our Payment Services Business Unit, develops and operates the solutions enabling Discover’s position within leading Digital Wallets such as ApplePay, GooglePay, SamsungPay as well as in token-based solutions such as Click-to-Pay and other card on file products leveraged around the world. Our backlog is filled with numerous Industry-leading/setting initiatives. The work in this space is hot and that’s not recruiting fluff. You and your team will have a direct impact on how Consumers evolve from swiping cards to all new contactless form factors while also shaping the continuous evolution of our Digital Payments platform. Talk about the opportunity to make an impact!
As the Director of Software Architecture and Engineering for Digital Payments you will be responsible for defining, evolving and communicating the strategic technical and architectural vision for Discover's Payment Services Digital Payments domain. You and your team will need to proactively partner with our Payment Services Business Development, Product Directors/Managers and Solution architects to ensure our technology architecture/product will yield the right functional capabilities and support all non-functional requirements needed to deliver a delightful experience to our Partners and Customers. In addition, you’ll partner with our Payment Services and Enterprise Architecture teams to ensure you are aligning to Discover’s overall technology roadmap.
As a passionate technologist, you will not only have the opportunity to define and shape our vision for the domain but also the career and journey for the members of your team. Via your transformational and empowering leadership behaviors, you will coach and mentor domain-level architects and technology product managers to define and communicate modern capabilities that will enable our small, autonomous agile product teams to deliver with speed and quality.
- Translate the Digital Payments product vision into a technical and architectural vision that will proactively enable the Digital Payments domain to deliver with speed and quality. Your technology product management that will ensure the vision is prioritized within the domain and/or within BT/DFS where appropriate and executed in alignment with the overall Domain’s needs.
- Influentially partner with key internal and external stakeholders/vendors/industry partners on strategic opportunities facing the Digital Payments domain to ensure the Digital Payments technical and architectural vision is proactively positioned to support market opportunities domestically and globally.
- Provide empowering technical leadership support to a team of cross-discipline, geographically diverse Technology professionals chartered to define, evolve and communicate the technical and architectural vision for the Domain.
- Partner with the Digital Payments Software Engineering and Operations Directors to develop and implement domain-level software engineering standards and practices to achieve the availability, performance, quality and compliance requirements of the domain.
- Establish the Digital Payments Software Architecture and Engineering team as a leading authority in the Digital Technology Academy.
- Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
- Oversee the planning and tracking of financial/budget activities.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, information technology or a related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- 7-10+ years of progressive software engineering experience involving cloud/container-based solutions operating domestically and internationally.
- 5+ years of direct management/leadership experience involving a fast-growing and high-paced software architecture function.
- Strong leadership, influencing, and relationship skills with a proven track record at all levels within an organization and a role model to others for owning the outcome.
- Excellent communication skills with a proven ability to present, discuss, and explain issues coherently and logically both in writing and verbally to all levels of an Organization (internally and externally). A critical skill and one that you feel is one of your best. We want you to be successful and this role needs this particular skillset to be at the high-end of the scale.
- A true self-starter with self-determined decision-making ability so he/she can quickly and independently assesses situations or opportunities and become a trusted and integral part of the senior leadership team.
- Detail oriented, outgoing, can balance conflicting and changing demands through prioritization and a pragmatic approach working with all levels of corporate personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to engage senior business leaders in establishing ownership/accountability, securing funding and committing resources to achieve a desired outcome.
- Ability to travel, domestically and internationally, up to 5% of the year. The core purpose of the travel is to allow you to build and grow relationships critical to this role where and when needed. Given the current pandemic this is certainly subject to restrictions domestically and internationally.
- Experience in the Financial Services/Payments domain.
- Experience in the implementation and operation of Mobile Payments (ApplePay, GooglePay, etc.).
- Career journey that includes roles specifically within software delivery (development, testing, architecture) where deployment leveraged cloud/container.
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.