Home Chef is building new ways to provide meal solutions that meet a wide variety of customer needs, and shipping locations both online and in store. Our team is a unique mix of creators, chefs, entrepreneurs, and trailblazers and we’re growing quickly. Our customer-first mentality, combined with a zest for supporting our peers, helped us bring home Built in Chicago’s Startup of the Year Moxie award in 2017. If you’re ready to be part of the action, we’re ready to connect with you. There are no limits to where we can go together.
Our technology product teams are building software that connect our customers to their dinner plans, both online and in store. Some of our product teams are focused on the customer journey, some are focused on enabling our internal innovation process, while others are focused on helping us effectively ship our meals to our customers. To accomplish this, we believe in building well rounded, diverse teams. In doing so, we create a great place to work, while shipping an impactful product.
What to Expect:
- Teams (or “Pods”) are made up of Engineering, Product, and Design. These functions work very closely with tight feedback loops to deliver features.
- Your technical experience is critical here, but you should also be really excited about growing the folks on your team, both in their technical and core skills like communication and empathy
- You will be accountable for the Technical and Architecture decisions, often working with the Tech Lead(s) and PMs in your area to guide and direct.
- We take mentoring seriously. We want to maintain a culture of learning, and bring talented developers onto the team with a growth mindset. You play a big part in this mentorship, often through pairing and walking through technical decisions with your team.
- You’ll dive into code when necessary, primarily giving effective PR feedback.
- This role will manage 5-10 software engineers
- You will be responsible for working with product management and stakeholders to help understand the technical decisions to be made and effort involved.
- You’ll hold 1 on 1’s often with your direct reports, helping them grow professionally (and maybe even personally)
- You’ll contribute to the ongoing growth of leadership at Home Chef, helping us to continually understand how to best cultivate a healthy team environment.
It’s OK if you don’t have a ton of management experience, you’ll have a great support system. The key to this will be that you are really interested in and excited about managing the people side.
Key Traits and Behaviors - These key traits are tied directly to our core values, and encompass your role of consistently delivering value to our customers while being a good teammate
- Customer Value: Strong advocate for customer in both technical and product design. Able to initiate and communicate ideas that will serve our customers, and consistently delivers high value projects.
- Technical Skills: Capable of architecting complex systems in a way that is usable and maintainable by other developers. Can clearly communicate idiosyncrasies and trade offs in advanced technical topics, and can confidently make the final decision, with buy-in, on those topics.
- Code Quality: Leaves code in substantially better shape that before. Provides thorough, constructive and timely feedback on PRs. Makes it a priority to see that PRs are constantly in motion to deploy.
- Impact: Often taking technical/architecture lead on large projects. Understands technical impact on product planning, and communicates that clearly to product team. Actively seeks strategic ways to improve company and increase positive outcomes in Technology. Is highly accountable to individual and team commitments, while also having the ability to hold team accountable.
- Growth Mindset: Understands the self, team, and organization are all in constant growth, and actively participates in each of those levels.
- Culture: Contributes positively to the culture of Home Chef in their own way. Actively seeks out ways to improve inclusiveness for all team members. Is a shining example to both Technology and external teams of a good team member.
- Team: Well respected amongst Technology and Product teams, as well as throughout the organization. Displays thought leadership amongst Technology team. Often taking the lead on team discussions and helping achieve resolutions to issues.
To read more about what we value in team members, check out this post on Medium from our CTO, Matt Pulley
Diversity of Thought Stats:
It’s important to us to be purposeful about this, which includes transparency in our job postings about where we are.
(Updated May 2019)
Engineers: 43 Engineers across 4 Product Teams
2 Software Engineering Apprentices
10 Software Engineer I
14 Software Engineer II
2 Data Developer I
2 Data Engineer I
10 Sr Engineers and Tech Leads
49% of Engineering are Women (21 of 43)
58% of Engineering are Individuals from Underrepresented Populations in Tech (25 of 43)
Within our Engineering Team, 65% obtained a Bootcamp education, 28% obtained a technical degree, and 7% are self-taught
Within our Engineering Team, 49% of individuals had a career in a non-technical field prior to working in tech, and 51% have spent their professional career solely in tech
49% of all Product teams (including Engineering, Product and Design roles) are Women (27 of 55)
- Direct access to senior management – our leadership team works alongside our team members every day
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance – benefits start the 1st day of the month following your start date
- Company paid life insurance, short term disability and long term disability
- Flexible spending accounts for qualified medical, dependent care, parking, or transit expenses
- 401k program
- Flexible paid time off (PTO) policy, plus sick days
- Quarterly company-wide “Town Hall” meetings
- Ongoing professional development opportunities by level and function
- Your choice of Windows or Mac laptop
- Onsite gym
- Free water taxi for Wrigley Building employees (seasonal)
- Catered lunch every Friday plus snacks and beverages on hand every day
- Employee discounts through Perkspot
- Discounts on Home Chef meal kits and at Kroger stores
- Casual dress in a fun, friendly and collaborative work environment
Candidates can experience Home Chef as a customer - enter promo code PEOPLE30 for $30 off your first order!
Home Chef is an equal employment opportunity employer