Director Enterprise Architecture Strategy
Discover Financial Services is a direct banking and payment services company with one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. Since its inception in 1986, the company has become one of the largest card issuers in the United States. The company issues the Discover card, America’s cash rewards pioneer, and offers private student loans, personal loans, home equity loans, checking and savings accounts and certificates of deposit through its direct banking business. It operates the Discover Global Network comprised of Discover Network, with millions of merchant and cash access locations; PULSE, one of the nation’s leading ATM/debit networks; and Diners Club International, a global payments network with acceptance in 190 countries and territories.
Discover’s vision is to be the leading direct bank and payments partner and its mission is to help people spend smarter, manage debt better and save more so they achieve a brighter financial future.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
The Enterprise Architecture (EA) team is seeking a Director of Enterprise Architect Strategy to play a key role in formulating strategies for the EA team with a specific focus on organization design, process optimization, operational functionality and resource structure. In addition, this leader will assist the Vice President of Enterprise Architecture implement cutting edge technology solutions and push the limits of technology improvements and innovations.
The Director of Enterprise Architect Strategy will improve efficiency and effectiveness of the team while focusing on providing senior technical leadership, mentoring junior team members and leading through change as Discover leverages next generation capabilities.
- Provide technical leadership while developing and maintaining relationships with Product Managers, Solution Engineers and Technical Architects
- Develop multi-year roadmaps, provide the vision and work with individual architects to translate this into tactical engineering blue prints
- Improving efficiency and effectiveness of the EA team including influencing and establishing best processes through solid design, decisions, and tools
- Ability to present to C-Suite leaders and technical decision makers while providing appropriate thought leadership and creative insights when needed
- Create presentations to illustrate EA delivery plans, concepts, and prototypes, summarizing marketplace and competitive strategy
- Set goals, strategies and oversee initiatives across multiple platforms
- Utilize in-depth knowledge of cloud technologies, software engineering, data engineering and data science to define target architectures, patterns and automation processes
- Optimize EA’s talent strategy to ensure proper mix of resources and to attract and recruit the industry’s best talent
- Excellent organizational skills and proven ability to execute on deliverables
- Represent Discover at technical meetups, external conferences and mentor junior engineers and architects
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 10+ years of relevant technology experience
- 5+ years of experience within software development
- 3+ years of experience working with cloud and data capabilities
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Financial Service industry experience preferred
- Experience in developing high volume transaction processing solutions that can be scaled for millions of daily transactions
- Experience with software development, cloud computing services and infrastructure application development platforms and contemporary programming languages work, systems, or design
- Industry contacts in the software development and open source communities
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.