Director, Front End Software Engineering- Innovation at Walgreens
Leads and manages the design, development, implementation, testing, and launch of robust and scalable front end software across Horizon 3 programs. Works with product, design, and other teams to understand and communicate application capabilities while translating requirements into solutions that are practical to implement, robust, and scalable. Manages the development of front end software engineering processes and procedures, and manages the evaluation and adoption of leading-edge front end software development systems and tools. Supports the sustaining engineering of front end software, including software maintenance and debugging. This role is responsible for directing and overseeing the activities of teams of front end software engineers as well as front end software development vendors responsible for the design, development, implementation, testing, and launch of front end systems.
- Leads and manages the activities of teams of front end software engineers and software development vendors responsible for the design, development, implementation, testing, and launch of robust and scalable front end software across Horizon 3 programs, including the analysis, data modeling, and technical design of front end software projects through the software development life cycle
- Leads and manages the design, development, and optimization of front end services, front end system architectures, and scalable mobile and desktop systems to support business needs and product requirements
- Support collaborative efforts with the product, design, back end software, and other teams to capture and understand end-user product requirements, formulate use cases, and then translate those into pragmatic and effective technical solutions for front end systems
- Manages the translation of the user interface and user experience (UI/UX) designs to actual code that will produce visual elements of the application, with cross-functional collaboration to ensure an appropriate balance of aesthetics, functionality, speed, and scalability
- Manage the development of software and systems to validate user inputs before submitting to the back end
- Manages the development of front end software engineering processes and procedures
- Manages the evaluation and adoption of leading-edge front end software development systems and tools
- Works cross-functionally to develop a project plan and a risk management plan for front end system development to deliver business needs and product requirements on schedule and within budget
- Fosters and supports sharing of product ideas, technical solutions, and novel developments through design reviews, code reviews, technology discussions, and brainstorming sessions
- Leads and manages testing and validation of front end software and systems, including the use of automated testing tools
- Manages documentation to support the software development life cycle, including project plans, engineering specifications, risk management plans, module test plans and reports, and system validation plans and reports
- Communicates with senior management to understand evolving business needs and product requirements. Communicates with direct reports and peers in management and at customer organizations and vendors to impart and interpret information and improve cross-functional processes and programs. Communicates technical information to cross-functional teams in an effective manner.
- Utilizes a proactive and responsive approach to problem-solving. Provides reasoning about complex problems, and applies experience to new domains.
- Effectively communicates with team members, managers, product owners, stakeholders, and non-technical support staff regarding front end software and system project plans, risk management plans, engineering specifications, critical project risks, test plans and reports, status updates, and overall progress of front end software development. Builds and enhances key internal and external contacts.
- Implements policies and defines approach to achievement of front end development goals to support business needs and product requirements. Analyzes long-term impact of new or anticipated strategies and decisions.
- Manages budgets, operational plans, critical risks, and performance requirements for front end software development. Responsible for meeting budgetary goals and objectives.
- Leads teams and facilitates communication between staff, management, vendors, and other technology resources within and outside of the organization. Shares highly complex information related to areas of expertise. Interacts with senior management to keep abreast of objectives.
Walgreens Boots Alliance (Nasdaq: WBA) is a global leader in retail and wholesale pharmacy, touching millions of lives every day through dispensing and distributing medicines, its convenient retail locations, digital platforms and health and beauty products. The Company has more than 100 years of trusted healthcare heritage and innovation in community pharmacy and pharmaceutical wholesaling.
WBA is the largest retail pharmacy, health and daily living destination across the U.S. and Europe. WBA is one of the world’s largest purchasers of prescription drugs and many other health and wellbeing products. The Company’s size, scale, and expertise will help position us to expand the supply of, and address the rising cost of, prescription drugs in the U.S. and worldwide.
Including through its equity method investments, WBA:
is present in more than 25* countries
employs more than 440,000* people
has more than 18,750* stores in 11* countries
has one of the largest global pharmaceutical wholesale and distribution networks, with more than 400* distribution centers delivering to more than 240,000** pharmacies, doctors, health centers and hospitals each year in more than 20* countries.The Company’s portfolio of retail and business brands includes Walgreens, Duane Reade, Boots and Alliance Healthcare, as well as increasingly global health and beauty product brands, such as No7, Soap & Glory, Liz Earle, Botanics, Sleek MakeUP and YourGoodSkin.
WBA’s purpose is to help people across the world lead healthier and happier lives. The Company is proud to be a force for good through its contributions to healthy communities, a healthy planet, an inclusive workplace and a sustainable marketplace. Our businesses have been recognized for their Corporate Social Responsibility. Walgreens was named to FORTUNE*** magazine’s 2019 Companies that Change the World list and Boots UK was recognized as Responsible Business of the Year 2019-2020 by Business in the Community.
The Company is included in FORTUNE's 2019 list of the World’s Most Admired Companies and ranked first in the food and drugstore category. This is the 26th consecutive year that WBA or its predecessor company, Walgreen Co., has been named to the list.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability/veterans
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering and at least 8 years of experience in software engineering OR a High School Diploma/GED and at least 11 years of experience in software engineering.
- At least 4 years of experience in software engineering of mobile and web applications.
- At least 3 years of experience in hands-on coding and software design.
- Experience with all phases of the software development life cycle as well as best practices and Agile software development.
- Experience developing large-scale web applications.
- Experience with web design optimization for mobile phones and tablets.
- Experience drafting or managing documentation to support stages of the software development life cycle, including project plans, engineering specifications, risk management plans, module test plans and reports, and system validation plans and reports.
- At least 5 years of experience contributing to financial business decisions in the workplace.
- At least 5 years of direct leadership, indirect leadership, and/or cross functional team leadership.
- Willing to travel up to 10% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
- Master’s degree or doctorate degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field, including a significant independent research project.
- Experience with front end development with Salesforce, especially Salesforce Health Cloud and Salesforce Commerce Cloud.
- Experience with design and development for cross-browser compatibility.
- Experience with code versioning tools, such as Git, Mercurial, or SVN.
- Experience with asynchronous request handling and partial web page updates.
- Experience in using a complex REST API from the client side.
- Experience leveraging back-end technologies to integrate server-side capabilities into front-end code, such as REST, JSON, C#, SQL Server, etc.
- Experience with image editing and authoring tools.
- Experience with UI/UX research, design, and implementation.
- Understanding of security compliance measures, application security, and incident management.
- Experience building full stack applications (front end and back end).
- Experience with content management systems.
- Experience with container deployment (e.g., Docker, Kubernetes).
- Experience developing or deploying machine learning models.
- Experience with medical device software development and associated documentation for regulatory submissions.