Director, Hardware Engineering at Walgreens
The Innovation team at Walgreens is creating a unique consumer-centric, technology-enabled healthcare ecosystem. The mission of the Innovation team is to simplify the healthcare experience by delivering personalized healthcare solutions through an integrated omnichannel platform to improve health outcomes, enhance the consumer experience, and lower healthcare costs.
The Director, Hardware Engineering leads the research, development, integration, and deployment of consumer health & wellness devices, which will be an integral feature of the new healthcare ecosystem. Leads the evaluation and selection of smartphones, tablets, and other mobile devices to support patients, caregivers, and others who will be served by the new ecosystem.
This role leads the development and testing of rapid prototypes, which will support the demonstration and evaluation of new technologies and devices. Leads experiments and analyses to support the objective evaluation of new technologies and devices.
This role also leads the development, integration, and deployment of medical devices, including Software as a Medical Device (SaMD). Evaluates new technologies, consumer and medical devices that address unmet needs of the consumers served by the platform. Leads the research, evaluation, and curation of systems that provide high value for consumers.
Leverages experience and expertise to evaluate new technologies and devices. Drives decision-making and prioritization for a pipeline of devices, which supports an integrated digital and physical, consumer-centric, technology-enabled, healthcare delivery model, personalized for local communities.
Leads the research, development, integration, testing, and deployment of medical devices to support the new healthcare ecosystem.
Determines resource needs, develops plans, tracks progress to those plans, resolves conflicts and delivers scheduled milestones to projects
Works collaboratively with internal cross-functional teams to develop and execute device strategies and objectives. Works with consultants and vendors to develop and deliver consumer devices.
Supports evaluation and selection of vendors to support hardware engineering efforts, including device design and development organizations, Original Design Manufacturers (ODMs), Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEMs), and contract manufacturers.
Contributes to new health & wellness product prioritization, development, and deployment by providing strategic input on device design, integration, and development.
Works with senior management in the prioritization and assessment of future projects and goals.
Generates test protocols, reports, and supporting documentation for design control and formal design verification. Prepares reports and presentations on engineering development efforts; presents research summaries, development plans, and results at internal meetings and external conferences.
Sets clear expectations and creates a positive work environment based on accountability. Develops and mentors team members via onboarding and open communication. Supports performance, goal setting, and employee development. Builds and maintains employee morale and motivation. Fosters a diverse and inclusive workplace.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, including disability/veterans
Walgreens (www.walgreens.com) is included in the Retail Pharmacy USA Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc. (Nasdaq: WBA), a global leader in retail and wholesale pharmacy. As America’s most loved pharmacy, health and beauty company, Walgreens purpose is to champion the health and wellbeing of every community in America. Operating more than 9,000 retail locations across America, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, Walgreens is proud to be a neighborhood health destination serving approximately 8 million customers each day. Walgreens pharmacists play a critical role in the U.S. healthcare system by providing a wide range of pharmacy and healthcare services. To best meet the needs of customers and patients, Walgreens offers a true omnichannel experience, with platforms bringing together physical and digital, supported by the latest technology to deliver high-quality products and services in local communities nationwide.
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, computer engineering, applied physics, optoelectronics, or a similar technical field.
- At least 6 years of experience leading multidisciplinary hardware engineering teams, which may include responsibility for electrical, mechanical, optical, acoustic, and materials engineering as well as firmware and software development
- Experience with hands-on hardware development and evaluation
- Medical device development experience, including testing, documentation, and support for an FDA submission or a submission to a notified body in support of CE Marking
- Experience identifying, managing and retiring technical and project risk
- Experience learning new technologies, systems, and applications
- Master’s degree or PhD in electrical engineering, computer engineering, applied physics, optoelectronics, biomedical engineering, or a similar technical field
- Experience with the development and launch of a new product
- Experience with the development of functional rapid prototypes of new technologies
- Experience with project management (e.g., planning, organizing, and managing resources to bring about the successful completion of specific project goals and objectives)
- Experience with ISO 13485 and FDA-compliant design control processes
- Experience with Altium Designer or similar PC board design software
- Experience with prototyping, design, and debugging of PC boards
- Experience with firmware development