Director, Internal Tools at Tempus (Chicago, IL or Remote)
Passionate about precision medicine and advancing the healthcare industry?
Recent advancements in underlying technology have finally made it possible for AI to impact clinical care in a meaningful way. Tempus' proprietary platform connects an entire ecosystem of real-world evidence to deliver real-time, actionable insights to physicians, providing critical information about the right treatments for the right patients, at the right time.
Passionate about building great software products?
At Tempus, software products are owned and developed by small, autonomous teams composed of developers, designers, scientists, and product managers. You and your team set the goals, build the software, deploy the code, and contribute to a growing software platform that will make a lasting impact in the field of cancer research and treatment
We are looking for a strong leader to build the team, roadmap and strategy for our Internal Tools group as part of the Engineering Operations organization at Tempus. This role directly oversees the design and implementation of build-test-deploy infrastructure and tools that all Tempus product and research teams rely on. You will directly influence toil, operational maturity and developer productivity at the company.
The Internal Tools Team comprises Engineering Leads and Software Engineers in development and test directly working with Product teams.
Why we’re looking for you:
- You take pride in fostering a culture of psychological safety and continuous learning for your engineers. You take pride in the success of your people.
- You are passionate about reducing toil for your internal customers (developers) through identifying high-scale, high-value operational patterns.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and are able to find the optimal path forward for your stakeholders through collaboration and unmatched ability to ask the right questions regardless of complexities.
- You are opinionated about design and implementation choices for both developer productivity and test automation infrastructure and open to challenge the status quo.
- You measure everything your team produces, as the best indicator of progress and prioritization and before making investment decisions.
- A high level of skill with managed services offered by various cloud providers - AWS and GCP strongly preferred.
- Strong understanding of the full stack of abstractions provided by modern container orchestration platforms such as Kubernetes, ECS, and Docker Swarm. We use Kubernetes.
Bonus points for:
- Experience with one of the many infrastructure-as-code tools such as Terraform (our favorite), CloudFormation, Ansible, Salt, Packer, Puppet, Chef, or similar
- Experience with containerized workloads. We use Kubernetes, Docker, and ECS.
- Previous experience in the healthcare sector and securing infrastructure to standards or compliance frameworks such as HIPAA, HITRUST, or ISO
Responsibilities for the Position:
- Collaborate with cross functional partners and stakeholders across Tempus Product, Technology and Data science organizations to set and achieve optimal outcomes.
- Includes quarterly planning and delivery through post-release adoption and maintenance of tools and infrastructure.
- Manage and communicate dependencies, risks and progress across multiple horizontal (Platform, Security Ops, IT) and vertical product delivery teams throughout the planning and delivery cycle.
- Capacity and budget planning for projects, software licenses, contracts that fall under your purview.
- Hire and help uplevel autonomous teams of Software and Test Automation Engineers in order to scale and mature systems and operations.
- Measure the impact of your teams and set clear expectations and goals aligned towards individual and organizational growth