Director, Process Engineering and Automation
Passionate about precision medicine and advancing the healthcare industry?
Recent advancements in underlying technology have finally made it possible for AI to impact clinical care in a meaningful way. Tempus' proprietary platform connects an entire ecosystem of real-world evidence to deliver real-time, actionable insights to physicians, providing critical information about the right treatments for the right patients, at the right time.
We are looking for a Director to lead our Process Engineering and Automation team.
What you’ll do:
- Provide solutions to highly complex problems and apply a high degree of ingenuity, creativity and innovation
- Deliver regular updates to Sr Director, Clinical Lab Operations to summarize team performance, productivity, instrument downtime, etc.
- Develop and implement workflows for new assays and improve existing assays through application of Lean / Six Sigma processes
- Resolve technical, instrument, or unexpected tests results and ensure corrective actions are taken whenever test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications
- Ensure all hardware and instrumentation used in clinical processing is validated and maintained according to manufacturer specifications as well as CAP, CLIA, NYS, and FDA regulations as applicable
- Oversee investigations into nonconformance events, root-cause analyses, corrective and preventive actions, and generate process improvement initiatives as a result
- Revise standard operating procedures when processes are updated
- Provide technical direction, mentoring, and professional guidance to laboratory employees
- Ensure on-site technical support is available for all automated systems and platforms with off-hours remote support
- Ensure routine preventative maintenance is completed on time and within specifications for all automated instrumentation
- Coordinate training for Tempus personnel with third-party vendors for routine maintenance and support of laboratory equipment
- Coordinate on-site service visits from third-party support engineers as needed
- Enhance existing and develop new automated workflows
- Install, test and control new versions of automated protocols on applicable instrumentation across labs and across sites as necessary
- Provide training and documentation for new or modified workflows to end users
- Author technical documents: SOPs, Work Instructions, IQs, OQs, PQs, Change Controls
- Participate in deployment activities to roll out new instrumentation and processes to clinical laboratories
- Collect, collate and report on data pertaining to platform reliability and instrument downtime. Monitor instrument performance and suggest efficiency improvements
- Other duties as periodically assigned
- BS in the Life Sciences, Biotechnology, Bioengineering, Engineering, or related disciplines
- 10 years of experience in process engineering, automation, or other relevant areas
- Experience with Next Generation Sequencing highly desirable
- Knowledge of CLIA, CAP, NYS, and FDA guidelines highly desirable
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to delegate tasks to others
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Self-driven and works well in an interdisciplinary team with minimal direction
- Strong desire to build products that will save lives and change the course of cancer