Director, Process Engineering and Automation at Tempus
Passionate about precision medicine and advancing the healthcare industry?
Recent advancements in underlying technology have finally made it possible for AI to impact clinical care in a meaningful way. Tempus' proprietary platform connects an entire ecosystem of real-world evidence to deliver real-time, actionable insights to physicians, providing critical information about the right treatments for the right patients, at the right time.
We are looking for a Director to lead our Process Engineering and Automation team.
What you’ll do:
- Provide solutions to highly complex problems and apply a high degree of ingenuity, creativity and innovation
- Deliver regular updates to Sr Director, Clinical Lab Operations to summarize team performance, productivity, instrument downtime, etc.
- Develop and implement workflows for new assays and improve existing assays through application of Lean / Six Sigma processes
- Resolve technical, instrument, or unexpected tests results and ensure corrective actions are taken whenever test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications
- Ensure all hardware and instrumentation used in clinical processing is validated and maintained according to manufacturer specifications as well as CAP, CLIA, NYS, and FDA regulations as applicable
- Oversee investigations into nonconformance events, root-cause analyses, corrective and preventive actions, and generate process improvement initiatives as a result
- Revise standard operating procedures when processes are updated
- Provide technical direction, mentoring, and professional guidance to laboratory employees
- Ensure on-site technical support is available for all automated systems and platforms with off-hours remote support
- Ensure routine preventative maintenance is completed on time and within specifications for all automated instrumentation
- Coordinate training for Tempus personnel with third-party vendors for routine maintenance and support of laboratory equipment
- Coordinate on-site service visits from third-party support engineers as needed
- Enhance existing and develop new automated workflows
- Install, test and control new versions of automated protocols on applicable instrumentation across labs and across sites as necessary
- Provide training and documentation for new or modified workflows to end users
- Author technical documents: SOPs, Work Instructions, IQs, OQs, PQs, Change Controls
- Participate in deployment activities to roll out new instrumentation and processes to clinical laboratories
- Collect, collate and report on data pertaining to platform reliability and instrument downtime. Monitor instrument performance and suggest efficiency improvements
- Other duties as periodically assigned
- BS in the Life Sciences, Biotechnology, Bioengineering, Engineering, or related disciplines
- At least 10 years of experience in process engineering, automation, or other relevant areas
- Experience with Next Generation Sequencing highly desirable
- Knowledge of CLIA, CAP, NYS, and FDA guidelines highly desirable
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to delegate tasks to others
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Self-driven and works well in an interdisciplinary team with minimal direction
- Strong desire to build products that will save lives and change the course of cancer