Director of Software Development at Peapod Digital Labs
What’s Our Dish
Announced in May 2018, Peapod Digital Labs (PDL) is an Ahold Delhaize USA company that powers the eCommerce and digital strategies for the Great Local Brands of Ahold Delhaize USA. Accelerating growth in digital and personalization capabilities, PDL is an innovation lab focused on meeting the changing needs of customers, regardless of when, where, and how consumers choose to shop.
Peapod continues to be a consumer-facing eCommerce brand, and is part of Peapod Digital Labs, focused on growing Peapod sales to consumers.
Browse the Aisles-
The primary purpose of this position is support business domains (e.g. (Supply Chain, Warehouse Management, Call Center, Accounting, Billing, Payment, Transportation, Merchandising, E-commerce and others) through the development, usability, quality and maintenance of the business systems applications on desktop and mobile. Also responsible for managing the integration and support of third party applications supporting these domains. This role works closely with the business domains to build out functional and technical requirements to move the business forward. Monitoring adherence to architecture frameworks in terms of application, integration, information, infrastructure, security and service operations. The person in this role must have a desire for delivering highly-scalable applications and software architectures, a deep familiarity with the latest innovations`, and a strong craving for the freedom to innovate in the same way.
Recipe for Success - What's “in store” for the role
Provide Strategic Vision, Leadership, and Direction of Business Applications
- IT Leader for business applications feature requests supporting business domains. Manages and implements features requested by the business.
- IT Leader for business applications on desktop, mobile, tablet and other devices
- Technology leader providing the vision and strategic direction including functionality and usability
- Continuously knowledgable about competetive and industry best practices, technologies and features. Passionate to stay ahead of the competition in features, functionality, usability and application performance
- Oversee and run user acceptance tests
- Acts as a top-level adviser to the IT Lead, a sounding board for ideas, a gate-keeper and part all-around strategic consultant
- 3-5 year strategic technology roadmap across all domain areas. Connect IT and business initiatives to the 3-5 year roadmap for consistency
- Be a key technical laison between various Ahold-Delhaize technology groups both in the USA and Internationally
Management of the Business Applications
- Responsible for the design and implementation of new features including functional, technical documents, user Interface design and coding for business applications.
- Define software solutions that are robust, scalable, maintainable, and innovative.
- Project manage through Scrum Agile development methodologies
- Build out and ensure availability of resources across team of software engineers and web developers.
- Collaborate in defining best practices and standards for software development efforts within the company
- Adhere to company approved best practices and standards for software development
- Interface with solution teams to coordinate the implementation of new solutions and changes into assigned areas.
- Work with IT counterparts to develop features cross functionally, especially in Consumer Website Development, DBA and Infrastructure teams
Manage and Support Third Party Applications and Integration of Company Systems
- Define technology business requirements for vetting, choosing and implementing third party applications to support the business domains, Supply Chain, Warehouse Management, Call Center, Accounting, Billing, Payment, Transportation, Merchandising and E-commerce.
- Responsible for the primary technology management of third parties. Provide documentation and follow through for application bugs and performance issues.
- Provide request for proposal and requirements documents for new feature request to third parties.
- Manage 3rd party vendor relationships to optimize service.
- Provides input to legal for third party software and support contracts and agreements
Provide level 1 24x7 Support and Manage Peformance and User Analytics
- Responsible for the Strategy and ownership and resolution of service issues involving production applications (e.g. network outages, failed applications, hardware failures) Coordinate functions between solution teams and service providers to ensure timely resolution of incidents.
- Review daily service metrics which identify the success of the services being utilized. Make recommendations to Service Management and coordinate the implementation of changes to services and service levels for continuous improvement.
- Work with the company’s IT teams to ensure that sufficient support resources are available to meet established service levels and business requirements.
- Analylize user application behaviour (performance metrics) and take action based on the data
Establish and maintain a working environment conducive to positive morale, individual style, quality, creativity, collaboration, and team work and lead by example.
- Provide inspirational leadership to guide teams toward operational excellence.
- Directs, motivates and develops staff maximizing their individual contribution, professional growth and their ability to function effectively
- Mentor, coach and cross train team members, stretch them beyond their comfort zone, in order to provide advancement and exposure for team members.
- Will be responsible for developing performance of team as new programs are introduced with training and adjusting work processes if necessary.
The Essentials In Your Cart - The required ingredients
- 10-15 years building scalable and stable business applications
- 8+ years managing software development teams.
- Extensive experience in evaluating development/software solutions (frameworks, APIs, platforms, etc).
- Strong interpersonal and management skills to complement technical expertise.
- Must have the technical aptitude to guide the strategic technology direction
Extra Spices - What you should bring to the table
- Strong Technology Architecture background in highly scalable business domain applications
- Proven track record of delivering quality software on time and on budget
- Deep knowledge of the business and customers
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal skills Presentation experience to small and large groups both internally and externally
Join Us at Our Table
Peapod Digital Labs is a forward-thinking company with a strong legacy of innovation. We recognize who powers our progress – our people! We offer a great variety of benefits and perks to our employees, including: great health care options, including PPO and HSA plans (with company contributions), dental, vision, flexible spending accounts, a 401k with strong company match and immediate vesting, and generous and flexible paid time off.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We comply with all applicable federal, state and local laws. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to sex, race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship status, religion, age, marital status (including civil unions), military service, veteran status, pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, legally recognized disability, domestic violence victim status or any other characteristic protected by law.