Director, Software Development
Leapfrog Online, a performance marketing agency listed among Built in Chicago's top 100 digital companies, is looking for a Director of Software Engineering to help expand and improve our technology platform. If you’re interested in joining a team that values learning, teaching, growth, communication, and solving problems for clients and stakeholders; if you’re interested in working with open source tools to design, build, operate, and scale a high-volume data processing platform to drive decision-making and insights for major companies; if you’re always looking for ways to improve communication, empower your teammates, and make software easier to understand, monitor, and operate; then we’d love to talk with you.
About the Team
We like to be open-minded and pragmatic. We use Agile/Scrum to run our teams, but more importantly, we dedicate a lot of effort to team development—making sure teams have the resources and environment most conducive to their success.
About the Position
As a Director of Software Engineering on our Technology Team, you will help us support a major expansion in the breadth and depth of Leapfrog’s platforms, including the set of analytics applications it drives. We firmly believe in the DevOps mentality and are looking for Engineers who not only want to build software platforms, but also the tooling and systems that allow us to efficiently operate them. We also believe that while the experiences our applications deliver are important, the data pipelines we craft off those experiences are equally critical. The position will help us not only dramatically augment the capacity of our technology platform to deliver experiences and process events at an ever-increasing scale, but also to provide our operators with the tooling needed to onboard and manage a stream of new clients and their needs.
As with all of our team members, you’ll be afforded the opportunity to continuously learn, and to practice sharing that expertise with other team members in a variety of structured and informal teaching forums.
- A minimum of six years of experience in software development; demonstrating successful ownership of design, build, rollout and ongoing delivery of business-critical consumer-facing applications and data pipelines starting from raw business requirements.
- Experience leading a development team; coaching and mentoring junior team members, coordinating inter- and intra-team as well as cross-functional collaboration, and leading team meetings.
- Successful experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment.
- Ability to provide guidance and coaching to team members with varying levels of experience.
- Experience with cloud platforms (AWS is ideal, but others are acceptable too).
- Experience with infrastructure provisioning, configuration, and monitoring tools (Consul, Ansible, Terraform, and Prometheus are ideal).
- Significant professional experience using application frameworks (Angular, React; Rails, Sinatra, Django, Flask; Spark, Airflow are ideal, but others are acceptable too) to build high-traffic websites, applications, and services.
- Knowledge of pragmatic engineering practices like iterative releases, test-driven development, continuous integration, and the use of version control systems (especially git/github).
- Knowledge of patterns such as microservices, event-driven, and layered architectures.
- Non-trivial experience with any SQL-based RDBMS (PostgreSQL and SQL*Server experience is especially useful).
- Experience with NoSQL data stores (especially Redis), message queueing (especially RabbitMQ), and asynchronous task processing (especially Celery).
- Experience with digital marketing or advertising a plus.
- Microservices architecture experience is a plus.
Building, Delivering, and Operating Our Platforms
- Guiding technical decision-making within the team to build solutions that fit well within our core tooling and infrastructure, meet the needs of our users, and are easy for the team to build, operate, and evolve
- Defining best practices in cooperation with the team and other teams in the engineering organization, and working with team members to implement them
- Ensuring that applications and systems are monitored and that the team is prepared to respond to and resolve incidents
- Proactively identifying platform health issues and proposing solutions to address them
Communicating and Leading Inside the Team and Across the Business
- Communicating and partnering with other teams, stakeholders, clients, and vendors on technical matters to drive implementation
- Using structured and effective communication methods to present ideas to the department
Leading and Coaching on Our Team
- Working with scrum masters and product owners to coordinate team activities and to define and complete sprint goals
- Taking on leadership opportunities: teaching, sharing concepts, coaching others, presenting
About the Company
As a performance marketing agency, Leapfrog helps brands uncover new customers and revenue by delivering relevant experiences and connecting data. We’ve built a proprietary technology platform that delivers experiences at each step of a consumer’s journey and collects a rich stream of data to learn what treatments increase the likelihood of a valuable outcome for our clients. We use distributed systems to solve complex compute problems, develop data architectures to support analysis and uncover insights, and use those insights to deliver optimal consumer experiences at scale. Our platform is a high-volume processing system supporting some of the largest companies in the US in ways their internal teams, agencies and IT consultants simply cannot.
Leapfrog recently joined iProspect to further enhance their performance media capabilities, sharpening iProspect’s ability to deliver real-time, personalized consumer experiences. Our Technology Team has been thrilled to see our platform extend to iProspect’s client base and we are actively broadening it to even better meet their needs.
Leapfrog is a great place to work. We have competitive pay, a matching 401k package, life & disability insurance as well as bonus potential. We focus on education, training and inclusivity on our teams in our day-to-day work, and by encouraging and financially supporting our employees to attend relevant training and conferences. We have a casual environment and strive to maintain a work/life balance, including flexible work scheduling options and parental leave. We are currently located in Evanston, however, we are in the process of building out a brand-new office space at 515 N. State in Chicago’s River North. We’ve enjoyed our space in Evanston for many years, but are even more excited to move into our new state-of-the-art space in late May.
The real perk of this job is the ability to contribute to a profitable and growing company that strives to give employees the ability to master their craft, increase their skills and be autonomous in their work. We are a small enough division that you can witness and be rewarded for your contributions, but are part of large network that allows us to partner with Fortune 100 companies. We support an individual's contribution to the community at large with multiple philanthropic activities and encourage employees to be part of their larger working collective by attending and supporting prominent conferences.
Please submit your resume and cover letter (we really like cover letters). Consider your background, what you know, what you want to learn in your career, and how you feel you fit this position. Links to a personal blog and/or GitHub repository that would help represent the quality of your work are also greatly appreciated.