We believe manufacturing is important not only for what it makes, but for what it makes possible for the world. Manufacturers have an important job to do, and it’s our job to provide them with the technology and expertise they need through the entire production process, from discovery and design to manufacturing and fulfillment.
The team you lead will track and improve the speed, agility, and stability of software engineering. The primary ways in which this will be accomplished is by maintaining build tooling, continuous integration workflows, and shared cloud infrastructure; providing test infrastructure and build automation frameworks; curating cross-team integration tests; owning the continuous deployment pipeline; and ensuring that monitoring and alerting is in place, driven by accurate metrics.
As a Director, you'll be responsible for building the team, ensuring that the team is working together effectively and meeting expectations for delivery. You'll use OKRs to make sure your team is aligned with broader organizational goals and that they know what is expected of them. You'll also be responsible for making sure team members individually feel satisfied with the work they are doing, that they feel challenged, and that they are growing.
- Build and lead the teams that provide shared software engineering services to improve overall speed, agility, and stability.
- Maintain build tooling, continuous integration workflows, and shared cloud infrastructure.
- Ensure that the rest of the software engineering team can write and run their own tests, understand the state of test coverage, and build confidence in releases.
- Provide test infrastructure and build automation frameworks for cross-team integration tests.
- Curate test suites that validate service integration, component functionality, and overall system behavior, and empower product teams to contribute to those test suites.
- Own the continuous deployment pipeline that delivers changes to production environments in a manner that accommodates both velocity and risk mitigation.
- Ensure that monitoring is in place for key metrics, and that automated alerts are configured to trigger when those metrics are out of bounds.
- Manage an on-call rotation of first responders who are empowered to triage alerts and escalate as necessary.
- Owning the developer experience for the larger team.
- The following KPIs as indicators of speed, agility, and stability will be under your purview:
- Lead Time measured as the time between a change committed to the codebase trunk and that change running in production
- Deployment Rate measured as the frequency at which changes arrive in production
- Time-to-Market measured as the time between identification and implementation of a desired change.
- Automated testing mix
- Mean Time to Failure (MTTF) as the average duration between failures in production, and Mean Time to Recovery (MTTR) as the average duration between the introduction of a failure and the resolution of that failure.
- Vital signs of Latency (the time it takes to complete an action), Throughput (to total volume of actions completed), Error Rate (the proportion of actions that are unsuccessful), and Saturation (the proportion of Throughput to total capacity).
- 5+ years experience building and leading teams
- Demonstrated success managing a team to achieve goals and objectives
- Solid understanding of software testing and deployment practices
- 3+ years experience operating scalable services in a public cloud
- Prior experience writing software
Every day you can expect to work in an inclusive environment that makes excellence possible, where great work and ideas matter more than seniority. We believe in experimenting fearlessly and learning from our failures—quickly. Our leaders have grown successful companies before, and they understand that businesses thrive when capable people have the freedom to solve problems without constraints.
We want you to come to work happy, healthy, and balanced so you can expect excellent benefits:
- Competitive compensation and bonus structure
- Comprehensive health care including dental and vision
- Generous vacation policy as well as a 401K plan
Fast Radius is proud to be an equal opportunity employer because diverse perspectives make for better products, better processes, and a better company. We encourage applicants from all backgrounds regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, Veteran status, or other protected status.
Read Full Job Description