Start a Rewarding Career with Alliant
What will your day look like?
The Director, Technology Architecture proactively and holistically helps guide the enterprise through transformation and optimization initiatives. The Director’s scope of activities includes helping the organization grow revenue, optimizing costs and mitigating risks. The incumbent will focus on understanding and applying existing, new and emerging technologies to transform and optimize business and operating models. The Director’s focus is to help the organization plan, design, innovate, orchestrate, facilitate, navigate and operationalize the digital enterprise.
The Director, Technology Architecture will lead the formal enterprise architecture practice, managing a team of domain architect (business, information, solution, technical, security and other). The Director will respond to disruptive forces by helping business leaders facilitate the decision-making process and provide actionable recommendations on initiatives and policies to help the organization drive targeted business outcomes. The incumbent will also be responsible for leading the technical integration and implementation of third-party applications, platforms and partnerships. General direction is received from the Vice President, Chief Technology Officer.
Do you see yourself doing this?
Technology Enterprise Architecture (EA) Practice
- Leads the development of a value proposition and execution of a communication and education plan for the EA practice.
- Promotes the business value of EA as an enabler of strategy formulation, and as support for technology innovation, which drives the organization’s top and bottom lines.
- Leads the development of an implementation plan for the enterprise architecture based on business strategy and requirements.
- Leads the creation and maturing of the enterprise architecture practice into an internal management consultancy.
Strategy and Leading Execution
- Understands disruptive forces and the business’s economic and financial levers that are susceptible to digital transformation to effectively guide technology investment decisions.
- Facilitates business and IT alignment through a collaborative, supportive and consultative manner, driving the organization’s digital business strategies and balancing innovation and growth
- Formulates, translates, advocates, supports and executes business strategy to achieve the organization’s targeted business outcomes.
- Leads the analysis of business and operating models, market trends and the technology industry to determine their potential impact on the enterprise’s business strategy, direction and architecture.
- Contextualizes technology trends based on social, economic, political and other nontechnology trends.
- Scans the world for major disruptive technology and nontechnology trends (trendspotting) that affect business. Provides practical advice and best practices to overcome these challenges and successfully deliver the expected business outcomes.
- Tracks and applies innovative technologies, anchoring them in the business and operating model to assess their potential, and use agile and lean approaches to evolve and manage innovation.
- Runs technology experiments to create new products and services and integrate the best of these into steady-state operations for the organization.
- Works with business leaders to identify key drivers and targeted business outcomes to derive useful business context.
- Develops diagnostic and actionable deliverables that help business guide investment decisions in support of executing business strategy.
- Leads analysis of the business’ future-state capabilities and future (and current) IT environment to detect critical deficiencies and recommend solutions for improvement to drive the business forward.
- Identifies organizational requirements for the resources, structures and cultural changes necessary to support the enterprise architecture.
- Works with the CTO and IT leaders to find the right EA organizational design to drive business-outcomes.
- Ensures the EA organizational design process leads to a more efficient and effective business and IT operating model, significantly improved results (profitability, customer service, internal operations), and EA resources who are empowered and committed to the integration of business and IT.
- Builds a skills inventory and designs a plan to close the skills gap. Finds the balance between technical, behavioral, and business and operating model skills.
Support Planning and Managing the IT Portfolio
- Leads analysis of the IT environment to detect critical deficiencies and recommend solutions for improvement.
- Leads the development of an implementation plan for the enterprise architecture based on business requirements and the varying IT strategies for project-driven or product-driven delivery teams.
- Develops and applies standards and minimal viable architectures through the EA governance model, which is informed by the business strategy and corporate governance. Clarifies accountability and provides the focal point for agile, effective and efficient decision making.
- Facilitates a collaborative relationship across product owners and agile development teams.
- Oversees the documentation of all architecture design and analysis work.
Leadership and Performance Management
- Provide business innovation vision by creating imagery and transparency in the possibilities, opportunities and direction of the future
- Demonstrate courage, ability and agility to understand and address organizational transition in real-time; establishing expectations for the unexpected
- Capture, analyze, and understand the internal environment, team dynamics, and talent capabilities to address organizational refinement, agility and growth
- Champion Employee/Internal Customer Engagement, employee development and all cultural hallmarks through a strong leadership signature and a growing command of Alliant’s leadership competencies
- Continually assess and provide discerning development, insightful coaching and talent utilization/optimization of subordinate leaders of others
- Apply High Performance Management practices in leading an engaged workforce in order to effectively leverage the full potential and talent of the function
- Provide a structural and consistent approach to ensure that individual development plans are in place, performance management is consistent, performance management process is respected and followed, and coaching and feedback are provided on a regular and dynamic basis
- Work with direct reports and help seek out growth opportunities for your reports; continually challenge reports to maximize their engagement and productivity
- Help propagate messaging across the organization that fosters a broader knowledge of Technology, promotes collaboration and influences constructive and positive change
- Adhere to and ensure compliance of all business transactions with policy and process of the Bank Secrecy Act. Ensures compliance with all applicable state and federal laws, company procedures and policies. Maintains integrity and ethics in all actions and conversations with or regarding credit union members and their accounts; complies with Privacy Act directives
What makes you a great fit?
You’ll be a great fit if in addition to the completion of a Bachelor’s in business, computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, system analysis or a related field of study, required, Master’s degree preferred, and you have:
- 10+ years’ business experience in strategic and operations planning and/or business analysis.
- 10+ years’ experience in solution or technical architecture, application development, database management or operations in a multitier environment.
- Knowledge of business ecosystems, SaaS, infrastructure as a service (IaaS), platform as a service (PaaS), SOA, APIs, open data, microservices, event-driven IT and predictive analytics.
- Familiarity with information management practices, system development life cycle management, IT services management, agile and lean methodologies, infrastructure and operations, and EA and ITIL frameworks.
- Excellent leadership, analytical and technical skills.
- Excellent written, verbal, communication and presentation skills with the ability to articulate new ideas and concepts to technical and nontechnical audiences.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Knowledge of all components of holistic enterprise architecture.
- Knowledge of business engineering principles and processes.
- Knowledge of business models, operating models, financial models, cost-benefit analysis, budgeting and risk management.
- Understanding of the different types of agile principles, methodologies and frameworks, especially those designed to be scaled at the enterprise level such as SAFe.
- Balance the long-term (“big picture”) and short-term implications of individual decisions and organization goals.
- Capable and comfortable balancing time between back-office foundational infrastructure and business innovation needs
When you’re happy, we’re happy!
As a thank you for joining our team, you’ll benefit from:
- Competitive medical, dental, and free vision benefits
- Competitive compensation plan
- Contributions towards gym memberships
- Generous PTO and banking holidays off
Still not convinced?
Share on your newsfeed
Alliant Credit Union is proud to be an EEO/AA employer.