Director / VP of Software Engineering at MightyNest
MightyNest is hiring an experienced full-stack software engineer to lead our engineering efforts as the Director / VP of Software Engineering.
If you’re looking to build and lead an engineering organization, want to be a major contributor, and love creating well designed systems, we want to talk with you. We are a fast-growing and collaborative team, backed by many of Chicago's leading investors. Later this year, we will be expanding our engineering team and need you to lead the way. The ideal candidate can code and wants to code on day one, but also aspires to lead a high caliber team of engineers.
MightyNest is a mission-driven company making healthy, green living simple and sustainable. Every month we send our MightyFix subscribers one purposeful item that makes it easy for them to tackle one healthy change each month. Members can also shop our online store of over 1,500 items that meet our rigorous standards for quality, safety and effectiveness. Over 200,000 people are living greener with help from the MightyFix.
We are a team of driven leaders who are passionate about eco-friendly, healthy, and mindful living and love solving hard problems that make a difference. We’re building thoughtful consumer experiences that create positive impact and are inspired by driving rapid growth in a culture of mutual respect. We value teamwork, and have an environment that truly supports a healthy work-life balance. We love what we do – join us!
What You'll Help us Build
We have a variety of interesting projects on the horizon from machine learning for personalization to building scalable ecommerce solutions. Our applications are technically interesting with lots of data, challenging analytics, many unique customer experiences, performance optimization challenges, operational/warehouse considerations, and a customer who loves our service.
We have a thoughtfully architected Ruby on Rails application based on Spree Commerce with excellent test coverage. Our engineering team will be growing quickly in the next 12 months, and you will be a key leader in developing the engineering culture, processes, and standards. Our engineering team is still small, so you will have great freedom to put your stamp on the application as well as the organization. Whether your life’s passions be family, a unique hobby, service, or something else, we will support you in being a key contributor without sacrificing those priorities.
Our platform offers a great opportunity to innovate - helping a business make the world a better place.
Process and Team
- Your number one responsibility is to lead our engineering efforts to deliver great software on time, within budget in a way that scales with our growing business.
- Work with leadership team to define and continuously improve engineering standards, processes and architecture.
- Collaborate with product design teams to help refine concepts and possibilities as well as anticipate future needs.
- Hire, train, and mentor engineering team members and external contractors.
- Identify opportunities for improved development tools, site performance improvements, technology enhancements.
- Lead software engineering efforts for new development cycles. This will include development work across a variety of technologies as well as managing team members.
- Design and develop data centric applications and analytics in support of both internal and external projects
- Own the development product roadmap, consistently delivering on time with high quality.
- Maintain and monitor existing application performance meeting each new stage of scale with solid solutions.
Are you the Right Candidate?
We’d prefer a candidate with 3+ years of Ruby on Rails experience and a BS or higher in computer science or a related field.
Key technology skills include:
- Ruby on Rails (4.2+)
- Postgresql or similar SQL knowledge
- A solid knowledge of TDD is preferred.
- Good understanding of OO design
Nice to have skills include:
- Experience with Spree Commerce (3.1+)
- General data science or machine learning experience
- Data warehousing
- Experience managing deployments
- Application monitoring experience
- Dev Ops and CI skills
If you have front end chops, visual design skills, or experience in architecting applications, we’d also love to hear about those too.
This position is located in Skokie, IL and we are open to candidates who are interested in working remotely. Salary commensurate with experience level. Other benefits include health care, dental care, and of course a generous discount on all MightyNest products.
Employment is contingent upon successful background check and eligibility to work in the US.
MightyNest is an equal opportunity employer.