Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
Discover Financial Services (DFS) is a direct banking and payment services company with one of the most recognized brands in U.S. financial services. Since its inception in 1986, the company has become one of the largest card issuers in the United States. The company issues the Discover card, America's cash rewards pioneer, and offers private student loans, personal loans, home equity loans, checking and savings accounts and certificates of deposit through its direct banking business. It operates the Discover Global Network comprised of Discover Network, with millions of merchant and cash access locations; PULSE, one of the nation's leading ATM/debit networks; and Diners Club International, a global payments network with acceptance in 190 countries and territories.
Discover’s vision is to be the leading direct bank and payments partner and its mission is to help people spend smarter, manage debt better and save more so they achieve a brighter financial future.
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Technology and People First Approach:
Discover has embarked on an exciting technology journey to be one of “best in class”. Our culture places its people and customers first and embraces a “we succeed together” mentality. As part of our newly formed, Technology Capabilities and Innovation organization, we are seeking multiple results driven Distinguished Engineers to continue to drive change across the technology function and will specialize in one of the following areas:
- Application Engineering
- Infrastructure Engineering
- Open Source Engineering
- Agile Transformation (Agile Sensei)
- User Interface (UI) / User Experience (UX)
- Data and Artificial Intelligence (AI)
These leaders will have a strong engineering mindset, a passion for innovation, and the ability to build strong partnerships at all levels across our enterprise. We are looking for individuals to leverage Agile methodology and eliminate redundancies that will allows our teams to strive for excellence.
As a Distinguished Engineer, you will be responsible for the coaching, mentoring and leading broad engineering teams. These experts will serve as thought leaders on technical projects, communities, and learning paths to help shape the future direction for technology domains. Working with technology leadership, the Distinguished Engineer will serve as key members in driving priorities to meet department objectives. This position has the potential to be based at Discover's headquarters in Riverwoods, IL or remotely.
- Leads technical projects, communities, learning paths or other technical initiatives with a range of engineering teams.
- Provides technical leadership and mentors hundreds of engineers at Discover, work closely with technology and business leaders.
- Influences and establishes best engineering practices, methods, standards, SDLC through solid design decisions, processes and tools.
- Set goals, strategies, and oversee deployment of large-scale projects across multiple platforms.
- Utilizes in-depth knowledge of technology such as: cloud technologies, software engineering, data engineering and data science, artificial intelligence in technical initiative delivery.
- Attracts, recruits and leads the industry’s best talent and simultaneously have the technical chops to ensure we are developing the appropriate data assets based on the highest value business use cases.
- Provides timely coaching, feedback, and direction to employees to help them develop their capabilities and enable them to perform to their potential.
- Contributes to open source software community
- Speaks and represents Discover at public events (conferences, user groups, meetups, webinars, hackathons etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master's degree preferred.
- 10+ years of relevant technology engineering experience
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.