We're Tovala, a food-tech company completely reinventing home cooking to save consumers time. Through an innovative combination of hardware, software, and food, we give our customers a way to enjoy really good, good-for-you meals without sacrificing time to do whatever matters to them. We've amassed a loyal, rapidly growing following in just a few years, radically changing the day-to-day lives of people across the country and successfully creating a new model for the food industry. We're looking for great people to join our team of hard-working, food-loving nerds.
As an Electrical Engineer at Tovala, you would design, prototype, and test improvements to our oven's electronics, manufacturing tests fixtures, and custom equipment for R&D.
We have some flexibility on location. Ideally, you would join the hardware team in their R&D and prototyping dream shop, located at The Product Manufactory in Urbana, (www.theproductmanufactory.com). You could also work out of our HQ in Chicago, IL.
- Maintain, update, and improve the electronics of our current oven model. Given the IC shortage, you'll often need to think on your feet to make robust but creative changes to use the IC's available for each function.
- Identify, test, and assist in locating stock of alternate components.
- Expand, update, and improve QA test fixtures for the oven.
- Design and develop the electronics for our next oven model.
- Communicate and ensure proper production of your designs by our contract manufacturers.
- Cultivate our Altium component libraries including creation of footprints, schematic symbols, and 3D models.
- Assist in evaluation of new contract manufacturers for PCBs.
- Construct and execute test plans to evaluate new hardware designs.
- Troubleshooting and Root Cause Analysis of ovens that have been returned/exchanged due to an electronic hardware failure.
- You have a degree in electrical engineering or commensurate experience.
- You have 5-7 years of experience.
- You have worked with internet connected devices and firmware.
- You have a good understanding of PCB technology and process.
- Experience in power electronics, digital, and analog electronics.
- Experience with schematic design, PCB Design and Layout changes.
- You are able to generate PCB related fabrication documentation including: Gerbers, BOM, Pick and Place, assembly.
- You can rework pcbs, and get hacky when validating a design change before it's final.
- Experience in soldering and prototyping with surface mount and through hole components.
- Experience in working with measuring devices (multi-meter, oscilloscope, spectrum analyzer).
- Highly detail oriented, organized, and able to work in a team environment.
- Willing to travel occasionally to the factory, including overseas, when safe.
- Experience designing a 4+ layer board.
- Experience in UL and FCC product certification and testing.
- Experience with power electronic design.
- Basic familiarity with the communication protocols implemented by the FW team e.g. i2c, SPI, UART.
- You have worked with board houses before, domestic and overseas.
- Speaks Mandarin