Emerging Technologies – DevOps Engineer
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
As Discovers Business Technology organization continues to innovate with new open source technologies, a new opportunity has been opened on the Emerging Technologies team in the Enterprise Architecture group.*** The position is in our downtown Chicago office, located next to the Merchandise Mart. Occasional travel to headquarters in Riverwoods, IL is required. ***This position will join a team focused on innovative data engineering solutions. As a developer or technical lead on the team, you will be responsible for guiding the team on technical details as well as implementation of solution and ongoing operational support. By following Agile practices, and continuing to build our development frameworks, you will contribute to a team that is delivering high value solutions and still innovating in our software tool set choices. We’re currently developing in Python and Scala, and are also looking to leverage more AWS services and Kafka streams, but are also evaluating cloud based streaming analytics and machine learning solutions.There will be opportunities to promote Discover and its innovative solutions (i.e., AWS Kinesis, Lambda) that this team will be involved in driving forward, so we expect this individual to be comfortable in these outreach responsibilities and possess good communication skills in order to be effective in these duties.The role requires strategic thinking, attention to detail and effective oral & written communication skills including the creation of visual artifacts such as flow and/or sequence diagrams. This unique position will require both a strong technical and business acumen.
- Works with a dedicated agile development team to deliver customer/business value through product features.
- Working within an Agile process to deliver solutions to Discover that support the Centralized Logging Service (CLS) and assistance in the design and implementation of the solution, based on Elasticsearch, Logstash, Filebeats, Kafka, Apache NiFi, and AWS.
- Achieve a high level of competency in big data solutions and aligned technologies that are used, or will benefit CLS.
- Take an agile pro-active approach that delivers improvements to the organization in a timely basis.
- Identifying opportunities to innovate on top of the CLS data, which promote skills in Data Analytics.
- Delivering new capabilities with new technologies (i.e., machine learning) that deliver additional value.
- Develop data science expertise.
- Provide technical leadership to application developers and other internal stakeholders regarding all aspects of Centralized Logging Solution.
- Perform strategic planning, upgrades, maintenance and support.
- Actively contribute to and drive creation of artifacts for CLS Architectures, Design Considerations and Best Practices.
- Maintain working knowledge of alternative Log Analytic solutions (i.e. Splunk, Elastic Filebeats/Logstash and Apache Metron), as well as cloud-based offerings.
- Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
- Bachelor’s Degree (preferably in technology) or equivalent work experience
- 2+ years of relevant experience with agile technology teams
- 2+years of coding experience with Java, Python, or another modern language.
- Experience supporting a product or service provided to a development community.
- Experience in a support based capacity, such as a development or engineering team
- Demonstrates reliability and dependability for the team, displays self-awareness, collaboration and ability to improve based on feedback from others.
- Agile Experience, Jenkins and Chef experience beneficial.
- Exposure to: Apache NiFi, Kafka, Java, Python.
- Experience with data pipelineing coding techniques that are commonly used in streaming development.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) would be beneficial.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.