SpotHero is seeking an Engineer to be part of the team working on improving operational efficiency within the company. This team is responsible for building out new features and products that allow the rest of the company to work as reliably and efficiently as possible. This team is unique because we get to interact with any and all internal stakeholders, and are able to work on the entire breadth of our tech stack.
The perfect candidate for this role is someone who enjoys making their coworkers’ jobs easier, and is looking for an opportunity to learn and grow professionally. They are a self starter who is capable of seeing the bigger picture, while also being extremely detail oriented. Most importantly, they are capable of working collaboratively with others on identifying the most efficient and maintainable solutions to some of the most frustrating problems their coworkers face.
Who we are: SpotHero is one of transportation's hottest tech companies! We’re rapidly growing with the mission of bringing the parking industry into the future through technology. Drivers across the nation use the SpotHero mobile app or website to reserve convenient, affordable parking in advance, on-the-go or through their connected cars, and parking companies rely on us to help them reach new customers while optimizing their business. We connect the dots with cutting-edge technology, delivering value to both sides of this exciting, evolving marketplace.
What will you do:
- Identify, design, develop, test, and release high quality functionality as efficiently as possible.
- Implement or improve cost saving initiatives that automate, or at least speed up, tedious processes for any and all parts of the organization.
- Work with a variety of tools and programming languages to make improvements to existing functionality, or build new tools, that will have a big impact on user experiences.
- Move existing features from our monolithic codebase into new services that run on Kubernetes using technologies like gRPC and Kafka.
- Be a key hands-on contributor to the design and implementation of new products and features through the entire stack.
The following experience is relevant to us:
- We value humility, a strong work ethic, flexibility, collaboration, technical curiosity, and constant learning.
- You can go up and down the stack from infrastructure through the application layer all the way up to client libraries.
- Experience with small teams that move fast -- all members are expected to be able to achieve maximum results with minimal direction.
- You have at least 3 years of hands on experience as an Engineer across multiple environments using Java and/or Python.
Nice to haves are:
- Kubernetes and/or Mesos experience
- Kinesis and/or Kafka experience
- Postgres and/or Oracle experience
- React, Angular and/or Vue experience
- AWS, GCP and/or Azure experience
- Protocol buffers experience
- Open source contributions to major projects
What we are offering:
- Career game changer – A truly unique experience to work for a fast-growing startup in a role with unlimited potential for growth.
- Excellent benefits – We cover up to 90% of Medical Premiums, 50% of Dental & Vision Premiums, and offer company sponsored Life Insurance.
- Flexible PTO policy, generous parental leave, 401k retirement savings plan, and great work/life balance – We value and support each individual team member.
- Fun perks like snacks, catered lunches, happy hours, wellness programs, and SpotHero swag.
- Annual parking stipend (duh – we help people park!).
- The opportunity to collaborate with fun, innovative, and passionate people in a casual, yet highly productive atmosphere.
- A workplace recognized as the Best Consumer Web Company by Built in Chicago, Top Company Culture by Entrepreneur, a Top Workplace by Chicago Tribune, and one of Chicago’s Best Places to Work for Women Under 35 by Crain’s Chicago Business.
Steps to apply: Please include any GitHub account, LinkedIn profile, and any project that you’re particularly proud of. We love seeing work that others loved working on.
- You must be legally authorized to work in the US. Unfortunately, the company is unable to support sponsorships at this time.
- We are considering applications for this position from candidates not located in Chicago. However, you must be able and willing to travel to Chicago on a quarterly basis.