We are seeking a Director of Engineering to manage, shape, and grow our fast-growing engineering team! You will be in the driver's seat, directing architecture and development for one of our engineering departments (dubbed “leagues”), managing humans, and also working directly inside our tech. We are in the midst of building a two-sided marketplace through a strategic application of technology, and we need a curious, futuristic leader who can help us execute this vision.
Sound like you? Keep reading!
What is the Reporting, Insights and Prediction League?
The Reporting, Insights, and Prediction League (RIPL) is about using data from customers and our integrations to better serve our Drivers, facility managers, and leaders throughout SpotHero.
The following Squads are part of the League:
- Data Engineering - Four Data Engineers, Two Machine Learning Engineers, One Engineer Manager
- Data Science - Three Data Scientists and one Data Science Lead
- Business Analytics - Five Business Analyst and one Business Analytics Manager
- SHIQ - One Backend Engineer and one Data Engineer
We will expect the Director to be experienced with several, if not all, of these types of work.
Who we are
SpotHero is a fast-growing market leader disrupting the mobility space. Drivers across the nation use the SpotHero mobile app, website, and connected car integrations to reserve convenient, affordable parking. Parking companies rely on us to help them reach new customers while optimizing their business. We connect the dots with cutting-edge technology, delivering value to both sides of this exciting, evolving marketplace.
Our product and engineering teams work hard to take the complicated, offline world of parking and turn it into a seamless digital experience for our customers that is nothing short of breathtaking.
What you will get to do
- Strategize and deliver league goals alongside the overall engineering team.
- Ship quality software efficiently, and predictably, to meet the demands of our customers.
- Build a high-performance, world-class engineering team.
- You will directly mentor, coach, and nurture both engineering managers and engineers towards success!
- Collaborate with engineering leadership on strategic planning to evolve our architecture, security, and scale without sacrificing product delivery.
- Partner with our Product team to drive long-term roadmaps from ideation to execution, and onward through continuous iteration.
- Expand our engineering team by working closely with our Talent team to recruit, hire, and onboard top talent.
- Foster a collaborative culture with a strong emphasis on teamwork, diversity, and creative innovation.
- Create continuous learning and development plans to further develop your team’s engineering skills and product knowledge. We believe technical and human development is key to our success!
Who you are
- You have 9+ years of experience as an engineer across various tech environments. If you’ve been a staff level engineer in one area of engineering, that’s even better!
- You are a seasoned leader with 5+ years of experience managing engineers. You are motivated by empowering the people around you and watching them thrive!
- You have managed managers for 3+ years and have learned how to sustain and upgrade their leadership capabilities. You have also led an entire department or team of 20+ humans.
- You understand agile methodology, a variety of programming languages, and relish getting deep into code!
- You are able to bring humans together to create an empowering and inclusive work environment.
- You know your way around a variety of tech platforms (e.g. iOS, Android, ETL, and Web) built on top of a distributed system in either Kotlin, Golang, or Python. You pay attention to both our architecture and system design and you understand the impact of Conways’ Law.
- You have experience with AWS or GCP and have previously developed software-at-scale.
- You are passionate about DevOps culture and modern Infrastructure practices (i.e. CI/CD), and have knowledge in QA, automated testing, and testing frameworks.
- You are incredibly curious and a lifelong learner within technology and working with humans.
Don’t check all of the boxes? Please still apply! We'd love to meet you and hear how you can help SpotHero drive into the future.
What we offer
- Career game changer – a truly unique experience to work for a fast-growing startup in a role with unlimited potential for growth.
- Top notch benefits:
- In the US we cover up to 90% of Medical Premiums, 50% of Dental & Vision Premiums, company sponsored Life Insurance, matching 401K, and generous parental leave.
- In Canada, we offer Medical (prescription drug and paramedical coverage), Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, STD and LTD, and very soon matched RRSP
- Flexible, unlimited PTO policy and supportive work-life balance – we value and support every Hero on the team, and create space for life!
- Annual parking stipend (we help people park!)
- The opportunity to collaborate with fun, innovative, and passionate people in a casual, yet highly productive atmosphere.
- Our award-winning culture has received recognition from Built In’s 2021 Moxie Awards, as a 2021 Best Places to Work in Chicago, Top Company Culture by Entrepreneur, Top Workplace by Chicago Tribune, and one of Chicago’s Best Places to Work for Women Under 35 by Crain’s Chicago Business.
Steps to apply: Please include any GitHub account, LinkedIn profile, and any project that you’re particularly proud of. We love seeing work that others loved working on.
At SpotHero, we Respect Fellow Drivers by providing an inclusive interview experience for everyone, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process. Please let our team know of your need when you apply or as you begin interviewing with our team.
SpotHero is an equal opportunity employer. We know that a diverse workforce is the strongest workforce, and are committed to building and supporting an inclusive environment for all.