Notice: Due to the current circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic, Kin Insurance has shifted to a remote workforce. While we hope to return to the office sometime soon, our priority is to maintain safe and healthy working conditions for our staff. For that reason, we will continue to operate, interview, and hire on a remote basis until further notice.
While this role will start remote, we will require this individual to be based in our Chicago office.
Kin Insurance exists to change home insurance from what it is to what it should be. We do this by applying data science and analytics to make decisions, automation to reduce redundancies and unnecessary costs, and innovative thinking to change the way customers interact with and get value from their home insurance provider. We do this because we wholeheartedly believe that customers deserve better from their insurance.
Currently four years old, Kin began with the notion that technology could improve our industry, so we started by researching the most important part of our business: the customer. After building our platform from the ground up, we launched the Kin Intern Insurance Network, a customer-owned carrier in Florida. By applying our vision for a data-driven, technology-forward insurance company, we are able to offer customers affordable insurance in a straightforward, simplified approach. In 2020, Kin is continuing to grow in Florida while expanding into other states.
While our approach to home insurance makes us a unique business, the people and culture at Kin are what make us special. We are problem solvers, collaborators, builders, and empathizers who care about one another and have a passion for creating positive change. We each bring a diverse array of experience to Kin that fuels a passion for learning and growth that we foster as a company.
So, what’s the role?
As an engineering lead, you will lead small teams, mentor and train less experienced engineers as well as assist with design and architecture decisions. As the engineering lead on projects and initiatives, you’ll oversee your engineers while jumping in to solve more advanced problems. After every couple or few initiatives leading teams, you’ll be able to step back into an individual contributor role where you can focus on deep coding work before rotating back to the lead function. You will work closely with our product, design, and QA teams, and utilize both your technical expertise and leadership skills to guide others and identify solutions to difficult problems.
A day in the life could include:
- Owning significant technical aspects of projects
- Leading small teams for product or feature development initiatives
- Mentoring and guiding engineers through earlier stages of development
- Writing clean, maintainable, and efficient code in Ruby on Rails
- Removing blockers from other team members
- Communicating technical topics to other team members in clear, effective ways
- Providing subject matter expertise and support
I've got skills...but do I have the necessary ones?
- 6+ years of professional software engineering experience
- 3+ years developing Ruby applications
- Experience mentoring and leading small teams of software engineers
- Comfortable in a startup environment – we’re fast-paced, self-motivated, and determined to change the industry
- A fast learner, ready to bring previous knowledge to this position and continue developing along the way
- Experience helping teams scale quickly
- Enjoy mentoring and training others
- At this time, we are unable to sponsor employment visas.
Oh, and don't worry, we've got you covered.
Being in the insurance industry, we recognize the importance of comprehensive benefits for you and your family. That’s why we provide a variety of options and coverage levels to customize a plan that fits your needs. These are just some of the benefits and perks we offer:
Commuter Benefit Plans
Flex Spending Accounts
Onsite gym membership - after we return to the office
Read Full Job Description