Affirm is reinventing credit to make it more honest and friendly, giving consumers the flexibility to buy now and pay later without any hidden fees or compounding interest. Affirm, Inc. proudly includes Affirm, PayBright, and Returnly.
Are distributed systems, scalable storage and global services your passions? Do you enjoy building teams and seeing your teammates excel in sophisticated and varied technical and business domain areas?
Scaling a global infrastructure across multiple merchants, vendors and products is hard. On the Online Platform Engineering team at Affirm you will find an outstanding opportunity to demonstrate your leadership skills, while continuing to be technical and responsible for the design and long term roadmap for scalable services and storage systems that form the backbone of Engineering at Affirm!
You will help us build easy-to-use systems and services that allow the rest of engineering to produce and deploy software that is scalable, reliable, instrumented and well tested. Our consistency, compliance and security requirements add to the challenge. These kinds of problems fascinate us and our Platform engineers work with all of our Engineering and Product teams to help the entire organization deliver quality products to our customers.
What you'll do
- Build, grow and lead an inclusive, diverse and distributed team of hardworking engineers responsible for building frameworks, systems and tools to enable new Affirm products that scale over millions of users and their transactions and secure data.
- Provide technical leadership in building foundational systems that serve efficient underwriting, fight fraud, manage customer relationships and serve millions of customers on a variety of devices and shopping experiences.
- Lead by example, care for your team and establish credibility with the quality of your team's technical execution.
- Work cross functionally with multiple engineering leads, technical program managers and product managers on security, tools, architecture, planning and delivery of multiple concurrent projects.
- Provide leadership and growth opportunities to your team members, develop talent, mentor engineers, recruit and represent Affirm’s hiring brand.
What we look for
- Solid leadership and communication skills and driving inclusive discussions.
- Good experience in attracting, growing and retaining top engineering talent.
- Strong stakeholder leadership skills with a deep interest in helping other teams tackle technical challenges by aligning strategic roadmaps where needed
- Experience working with one or more engineering teams as a customer is a plus
- Extensive management or tech-lead experience building and owning large-scale, geographically distributed backend serving, storage and database systems.
- Proven CS fundamentals and hands on coding and debugging experience using modern software delivery methods to develop services using Python, Go and JVM-Based languages
- Experience with AWS and/or other cloud providers is a plus.
- Experience in using OpenSource software to build technology solutions.
- Strong expertise with infrastructure scaling, database operations, system internals, file-systems, security, network, concurrency frameworks and container orchestration systems is a plus.
- Unbridled appetite for learning new things!
- You obsess about keeping costs low while building your team and products
- Familiarity with Linux is a plus
Location - Remote U.S.
At Affirm, People Come First is one of our core values, and that’s why diversity and inclusion are vital to our priorities as an equal opportunity employer. You can read about our D&I program here and our progress thus far in our 2020 DEI Report.
We also believe It’s On Us to provide an inclusive interview experience for all, including people with disabilities. We are happy to provide reasonable accommodations to candidates in need of individualized support during the hiring process.