Engineering Manager -Diner Security at Grubhub
We're all about connecting hungry diners with our network of over 300,000 restaurants nationwide. Innovative technology, user-friendly platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities set us apart and make us an industry leader in the world of online food ordering. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
Grubhub is a place where authentically fun culture meets innovation and teamwork. We believe in empowering people and opening doors for new opportunities. If you're looking for a place that values strong relationships, embraces diverse ideas-all while having fun together-Grubhub is the place for you!
The Diner Security team is responsible for essential systems that govern authentication and authorization of users, securing clients' accounts and data, and management of statutory requirements to protect and enhance the privacy rights of our users. Our services serve millions of requests per day and high availability, responsiveness, robustness, and scalability are our bedrock. Additionally, due to the core nature of these services we often engage with teams that run initiatives, i.e. projects that span the Grubhub platform, where time to market is frequently critical.
The Impact You Will Make
- Manage a team of software engineers, including providing guidance on their career progression, planning, and continually challenging them to raise the bar.
- Understand the domain needs and build a highly scalable & reliable platform for the Security services.
- Communicate with stakeholders, product owners, other technologists, and users to create software based on an understanding of business and technical priorities.
- You'll be accountable for delivery, deployment, maintenance, monitoring the performance of the application and the platform.
- Evaluate tools, technologies, and vendors for the platform along with other senior team members.
- Ensure that your team maintains a high bar for quality and follows established engineering and operational guidelines.
- Facilitate your team's agile operations by overseeing all sprints and manage the team backlog.
- Participate in future product direction, drive technology strategy and execution.
- Review code of peers using security standards in the code and ability to measure the performance of the features.
- Create a backlog of Tech Debts/ Features, suggesting areas of improvement and ensuring short-term decisions don't build into long-term problems.
What You Bring to the Table
- Bachelor's Degree in Science, Programming or Engineering related field
- 7+ years experience building highly scalable consumer-facing applications (e-commerce preferred).
- 3+ years experience managing a team of Engineers and providing mentorship and career progression and planning in a formal setting
- Experience architecting, designing, and developing testable, fault-tolerant, and performant software
- AWS experience, or similar cloud-based offerings
- Java, C#, or a similar modern object-oriented language
- Strong fundamentals of computer science (object oriented programming, foundations of data structures and algorithms, etc) to guide the team in building optimal solutions
- Experience with eventually consistent databases (Cassandra/MongoDB/CouchDB).
- Experience with Memcache/ Redis Distributed Caching mechanisms.
- Automated testing experience applicable for services (Junit/testing, Mockito + JMeter/Gatling.io)
- Experience developing highly-available distributed systems (5x9's uptime etc.)
- Prior experience with a Security platform and knowledge of privacy regulations are a big plus.
- Docker, or similar containerized solutions
- CI / CD tools preferable Gradle, Jenkins or similar
- Experience with stakeholder management with data-driven communication and prioritization
- You will work with your team to monitor and ensure the health of the platform, which includes a 24/7 hour on-call rotation, to ensure a great customer experience.
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO/PTO. Grubhub employees enjoy a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Health and Wellness. Excellent medical benefits, employee network groups and paid parental leave are just a few of our programs to support your overall well-being.
- Competitive Pay. You'll receive a competitive base salary with eligibility for generous incentives, bonuses, commission or RSUs (role-specific).
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. We empower you to be a leader and grow your career through training, coaching and mentorship opportunities.
- MealPerks. Get meals on us! Our employees get a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives like Wellness Wednesdays, Slack competitions and virtual happy hours!
- Social Impact. At Grubhub we believe in giving back through programs like the Grubhub Community Relief Fund and donating $1 million to the Equal Justice Initiative in 2020. Employees are also given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
Vaccination Requirement: Grubhub employees are required to be fully vaccinated. Candidates must confirm vaccination status at time of hire, and must provide proof of full-Covid-19 vaccination within 2 weeks of starting employment. Fully vaccinated is defined as: "2 weeks have passed since your second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines, or 2 weeks after a single-dose vaccine, such as Johnson & Johnson's vaccine.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage a workplace that is just as diverse as the customers we serve. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. If you're applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an email to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
CA Privacy Notice: If you are a resident of the State of California and would like a copy of our CA privacy notice, please email [email protected] .