Engineering Manager - Front End at Sprout Social
At Sprout Social we are building software that is made to last. Our 25,000+ customers rely on us daily to effectively collaborate and engage with their customers across their social networks. Sprout Social is used by companies like the Chicago Bulls, Sony Electronics, Indiana University, Make-a-wish Foundation, Edelman, and Subaru to create stronger relationships with their customers through social media.
We do not operate as lone wolves or “10x devs.” Instead, we’re building diverse, collaborative teams that get the best results sustainably. Embedded as a member of one of our cross-functional engineering squads, you will be part of the day-to-day Agile development environment. Your role on the team will be that of 'player-coach,' working alongside your direct reports while also carving out time to help direct and support their professional development. While you should be excited about writing and shipping production-level code, we want you to be equally excited about the trajectory of your team and your part in forming them as stellar software engineers.
These are the minimum qualifications that our hiring team is looking for in this role:
- 2+ years experience as a technical lead or managing engineering teams
Additionally, these are the preferred qualifications that would indicate a particularly strong candidate:
- Experience building web applications with React, Redux, and/or similar web technologies.
- Experience working in a large codebase
- Communication and project management skills from collaborating with people across different teams and functional areas.
Within 1 month, you will:
- Complete Sprout’s New Hire training program alongside other new Sprout team members
- Deliver business value by shipping your first code change with active pairing/mentoring from your teammates
- Learn how code is deployed to our end users through collaboration with front-end developers on your team
- Have a firm understanding of the team’s roadmap and the team’s Agile processes by having discussions with your team’s product manager
Within 3 months, you will:
- Independently own and deliver stories without peer consultation given user acceptance criteria and visual mockups.
- Adhere to the team’s Engineering best practices, such as testing expectations, shared patterns, and documentation.
- Openly communicate with all disciplines of the team, including Back-End Engineers, QA, Product Design and Product Managers, in order to move the team’s work forward
- Contribute to team processes by participating in team activities, such as code review, estimation, technical specification planning, collaboration in requirements definition, and contribution of feedback during retrospectives.
- Fix production bugs by participating in your team’s support rotation
- Learn Sprout's management practices and tools
Within 6 months, you will:
- Meet with direct reports regularly and formulate career growth plans
- Participate in Engineering management discussions in order to learn from peer managers and to share lessons learned
- Author a technical specification plan for a roadmap project and collaborate with teammates to create an agreed upon delivery plan
- Participate in management workshops designed to level-up your feedback and coaching skills
- Mentor junior teammates to provide guidance and coaching on code implementation, design review, and other software engineering and Agile practices.
- Collaborate effectively with your team’s Product Manager and QA to ensure that projects are delivered on time and with quality
- Have knowledge of your team’s target customer base and their most common use cases within the application
Within 12 months, you will:
- Complete career ladder and performance review evaluations for your direct reports
- Have an understanding of all aspects of Sprout’s web application, including server-side web code, production hosting infrastructure, and ancillary services, such as the PDF generation and email delivery services
- Demonstrate end-to-end responsibility for delivering roadmap projects on time, from technical planning to performing/guiding implementation to testing to final delivery.
- Balance the continuum of trade-offs during code design, knowing that solutions can favor faster delivery with less strict technical requirements or solutions can favor future technical maintainability with delayed delivery of customer value
Of course, what is outlined above is the ideal timeline, but things may shift based on business needs and other projects and tasks could be added at the discretion of your manager.
About Sprout Social
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success. Our team’s shared belief in Sprout’s mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun.
We’re proud to regularly be recognized for our team, product and culture. Our benefits program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families
- Progressive policies to support work/life balance, like our flexible paid time off and parental leave program
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment—your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and mental well-being of our team
- Ongoing education and development opportunities via our [email protected] program, employee-led diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives and mentorship programs for aspiring leaders
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members
- Beautiful, convenient and state-of-the-art offices in Chicago’s Loop and downtown Seattle, for those who prefer an office setting
Whenever possible, Sprout wants to provide our team with the flexibility to work in the location that makes the most sense for them. For those that prefer an office setting, this role may be based in our Chicago or Seattle locations. If you prefer to work from your home, we can accommodate that for many locations across the United States. We are not set up in all states, however, so please take a look at the drop down box in our application to see whether your state is listed.
Sprout Social is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate based on identity- race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex (including sexual identity), age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, arrest record or expunged or sealed convictions, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law. Learn more about our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in our 2020 DEI Report.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. We'll do all we can to ensure you're set up for success during our interview process while upholding your privacy, including requests for accommodation. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here (1) Equal Opportunity Employment Poster (2) Sprout Social's Affirmative Action Statement (3) Pay Transparency Statement.