Engineering Manager - Front End
Our team uses a variety of web technologies, including React, Redux, ImmutableJS and Gulp, to build highly scalable software that is used by over 20,000 brands worldwide including Evernote, Grubhub, Subaru and Edelman. These businesses rely on Sprout to create stronger relationships with their customers through social media.
Embedded as a member of one of our engineering squads, you will be part of the day-to-day Agile development environment. Your role on the team will be that of 'player-coach,' working alongside your direct reports while also carving out time to help direct and support their professional development. While you should be excited about writing and shipping production-level code, we want you to be equally excited about the trajectory of your team and your part in forming them as stellar software engineers.
Within 1 month, you will:
- Complete Sprout’s New Hire training program alongside other new Sprout team members
- Deliver business value by shipping your first code change with active pairing/mentoring from your teammates
- Learn how code is deployed to our end users through collaboration with front-end developers on your team
- Have a firm understanding of the team’s roadmap and the team’s Agile processes by having discussions with your team’s product manager
Within 3 months, you will:
- Independently own and deliver stories without peer consultation given user acceptance criteria and visual mockups.
- Adhere to the team’s Engineering best practices, such as testing expectations, shared patterns, and documentation.
- Openly communicate with all disciplines of the team, including Back-End Engineers, QA, Product Design and Product Managers, in order to move the team’s work forward
- Contribute to team processes by participating in team activities, such as code review, estimation, technical specification planning, collaboration in requirements definition, and contribution of feedback during retrospectives.
- Fix production bugs by participating in your team’s support rotation
- Learn Sprout's management practices and tools
Within 6 months, you will:
- Meet with direct reports regularly and formulate career growth plans
- Participate in Engineering management discussions in order to learn from peer managers and to share lessons learned
- Author a technical specification plan for a roadmap project and collaborate with teammates to create an agreed upon delivery plan
- Participate in management workshops designed to level-up your feedback and coaching skills
- Mentor junior teammates to provide guidance and coaching on code implementation, design review, and other software engineering and Agile practices.
- Collaborate effectively with your team’s Product Manager and QA to ensure that projects are delivered on time and with quality
- Have knowledge of your team’s target customer base and their most common use cases within the application
Within 12 months, you will:
- Complete career ladder and performance review evaluations for your direct reports
- Have an understanding of all aspects of Sprout’s web application, including server-side web code, production hosting infrastructure, and ancillary services, such as the PDF generation and email delivery services
- Demonstrate end-to-end responsibility for delivering roadmap projects on time, from technical planning to performing/guiding implementation to testing to final delivery.
- Balance the continuum of trade-offs during code design, knowing that solutions can favor faster delivery with less strict technical requirements or solutions can favor future technical maintainability with delayed delivery of customer value
Of course, what is outlined above is the ideal timeline, but things may shift based on business needs and other projects and tasks could be added at the discretion of your manager.
About Sprout Social
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success.
Team Sprout is a group of very talented, smart and passionate people with broad interests and backgrounds. We believe that true employee engagement cannot happen if you can’t bring your whole self to work, so we’re committed to building a diverse team, embracing an inclusive culture and investing in equity across our organization. That dedication is core to Sprout. We want all candidates, particularly those coming from traditionally underrepresented groups in the technology industry, to know they are welcome at Sprout.
We’re proud to regularly be recognized for software, product and company culture achievements. Our team’s shared belief in Sprout’s mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun. We have built a benefits program to match the strength of our team. This program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families, including generous company contributions
- Progressive benefit programs, like our parental leave program and free Divvy bike memberships
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment - your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Beautiful, convenient and state-of-the-art offices in Chicago’s Loop
- Solid programs in some of the staples: transportation, disability and life insurance
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and financial well-being of our team
- Breakfast and lunch options onsite, and more healthy snack options and beverages than you can imagine
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members