Engineering Manager, HeroTech (IoT) Team
SpotHero is seeking an Engineering Manager to lead our HeroTech team. The team owns the platforms used by our ParkingPanda and HeroTech product lines. These product lines encompass everything from B2C web/mobile platforms to a rapidly growing B2B IoT platform.
Who we are: SpotHero is one of transportation's hottest tech companies! We’re rapidly growing with the mission of bringing the parking industry into the future through technology. Drivers across the nation use the SpotHero mobile app or website to reserve convenient, affordable parking in advance, on-the-go or through their connected cars, and parking companies rely on us to help them reach new customers while optimizing their business. We connect the dots with cutting-edge technology, delivering value to both sides of this exciting, evolving marketplace.
What will you do:
- Lead the team that is building our new platform using C#/.NET Core, Kubernetes, Kafka and AWS/Azure; also support the existing C# platform running.
- Own, operate, and maintain all new technology solutions for this team. This includes managing the rotating on-call incident escalation and response processes for the team.
- Collaborate on roadmaps with Product Managers, other Engineering Managers, and Technical Leads to ensure the team has clear direction and priorities. Create a healthy balance between features and reduction of technical debt.
- Put in place development best practices to ensure the team produces high quality, well written and tested code. Lead reviews of architecture design.
- Writing production code will not be your primary focus, but it is expected that you should be conversant in the HeroTech code base, able to help out in a pinch (fix bugs, help out during an outage, and be in the on-call rotation).
- Recruit and retain great engineers.
- Customer First - We believe in the best customer experience ever. This includes their experience at the Parking Garage itself. When the garage has a barcode scanner, all our customer has to do is scan their barcode on entry, and exit, and the gate automatically opens. It's truly amazing!!
The following experience is relevant to us:
- We value humility, a strong work ethic, flexibility, collaboration, technical curiosity, and constant learning.
- You have at least 4 years of engineering management experience leading a team of 4+ people working on a distributed systems in C#.
- You have at least 7 years of hands-on experience as an Engineer using C# on multiple projects on complex distributed polyglot systems.
- Demonstrable experience with small teams that move fast - all members are expected to be able to achieve maximum results with minimal direction.
- SQL Server experience.
- AWS or Azure experience.
Nice to Haves:
- Kubernetes and/or Mesos experience.
- Kafka, Spark and/or Flink experience.
- Cassandra, Elastic, Redis and/or Couchbase experience.
- Open source contributions to a few major projects.
What we are offering:
- Career game changer – A truly unique experience to work for a fast-growing startup in a role with unlimited potential for growth.
- Excellent benefits – We cover 90% of Medical Premiums, 50% of Dental & Vision Premiums, and offer company sponsored Life Insurance.
- Flexible PTO policy, generous parental leave, and great work/life balance – We value and support each individual team member.
- Fun perks like snacks, catered lunches, happy hours, wellness programs, and SpotHero swag.
- Annual parking stipend (duh – we help people park!).
- The opportunity to collaborate with fun, innovative, and passionate people in a casual, yet highly productive atmosphere.
- A workplace recognized as the Best Consumer Web Company by Built in Chicago, Top Company Culture by Entrepreneur, a Top Workplace by Chicago Tribune, and one of Chicago’s Best Places to Work for Women Under 35 by Crain’s Chicago Business.
Steps to apply: Please include any GitHub account, LinkedIn profile, and any project that you’re particularly proud of. We love seeing work that others loved working on.
NOTE: You must be legally authorized to work in the US. Unfortunately, the company is unable to support sponsorships at this time.