Engineering Manager - Marketing
Are you passionate about delivering fast, beautiful web experiences that are viewed by tens of thousands of users per day? Are you equally as motivated to guide engineers in their career growth? Sprout Social’s engineering team is looking for an experienced web engineer and people manager to join the team that builds our digital marketing efforts. Sprout’s marketing teams are made up of web engineers along with brand designers, analysts, and marketing stakeholders.
You will empower our marketing team to build the Sprout brand and drive new business through technology. As an engineer in a cross-functional team, you will effectively communicate engineering requirements and challenges to non-technical colleagues, negotiating scope, deadlines, and quality in order to continuously deliver value to the business. You will work closely with our in-house brand creative team to take static design prototypes and bring them to life as responsive, performant, and engaging websites.
As a people manager, you will support your direct reports’ career growth and professional development through servant leadership. You will need to deliver the right balance of encouragement and feedback, and you should not be afraid to have difficult conversations. While you should be excited about writing and deploying code, we want you to be equally excited about the trajectory of your team and your part in forming them as stellar engineers.
Our team uses a variety of web technologies, including WordPress, React.js, Laravel, AMP HTML and Gulp. In addition, our team welcomes new ideas and different approaches, and we can pivot quickly when a better idea comes along. We’re a small, highly collaborative group that loves to experiment. As a member of this team, your input will be valued from ideation to implementation, and you will be able to define your own path to reach the goals the team sets together.
If you are passionate about HTML and CSS, are excited to guide other engineers with their careers, and are ready to learn whatever technology is right for the job, we’d love to talk with you!
Note: When applying, we would love to see your favorite work samples or projects!
Within 1 month, you will:
- Complete Sprout’s New Hire training program alongside other new Sprout team members.
- Deliver business value by shipping your first code change with active pairing/mentoring from your teammates.
- Learn how code is deployed to our end users through collaboration with web engineers on your team.
- Gain an understanding of the team’s roadmap and Agile processes by having discussions with your team’s project manager.
Within 3 months, you will:
- Deliver small, well-defined features from planning to deployment with guidance.
- Be familiar and comfortable with local development and deployment processes.
- Openly communicate with project management to deliver progress updates and set delivery expectations.
- Provide feedback in team activities, such as requirements definition, technical design, estimation, code review and retrospectives.
- Pair with other web engineers to identify and fix production bugs by participating in your team’s support rotation.
- Begin contributing to shared codebases and documentation.
- Learn Sprout's management practices and tools.
Within 6 months, you will:
- Meet with direct reports regularly and formulate career growth plans.
- Participate in Engineering management discussions in order to learn from peer managers and to share lessons learned.
- Participate in management workshops designed to level-up your feedback and coaching skills.
- Partner with brand designers and marketing stakeholders to discuss the feasibility of implementing new designs and features.
- Seek clarification and provide thoughtful and constructive feedback when vetting project requirements.
- Regularly share what you’re learning during Marketing Development team meetings.
- Actively participate in code review.
- Participate in designing the technical details of a project and solicit feedback from peers.
Within 12 months, you will:
- Complete career ladder and performance review evaluations for your direct reports.
- Deliver new web pages and components on time and with minimal revisions.
- Begin improving the quality of existing code by refactoring, adding tests, and identifying potential areas of improvement.
- Learn to prioritize tasks, timebox, modify scope, and break larger user stories into smaller subtasks in order to deliver value as quickly as possible.
- Advocate for best practices regarding web performance, accessibility, and user experience.
- Identify a technical initiative (e.g. technical debt, introduction of a new system, performance improvement, etc) that is prioritized as a quarterly roadmap project for your team
- Surprise us! Use your unique ideas and abilities to change your team in beneficial ways that we haven’t even considered yet.
Of course, what is outlined above is the ideal timeline, but things may shift based on business needs and other projects and tasks could be added at the discretion of your manager.
About Sprout Social
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success.
Team Sprout is a group of very talented, smart and passionate people with broad interests and backgrounds. We believe that true employee engagement cannot happen if you can’t bring your whole self to work, so we’re committed to building a diverse team, embracing an inclusive culture and investing in equity across our organization. That dedication is core to Sprout. We want all candidates, particularly those coming from traditionally underrepresented groups in the technology industry, to know they are welcome at Sprout.
We’re proud to regularly be recognized for software, product and company culture achievements. Our team’s shared belief in Sprout’s mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun. We have built a benefits program to match the strength of our team. This program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families, including generous company contributions
- Progressive benefit programs, like our parental leave program and free Divvy bike memberships
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment - your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Beautiful, convenient and state-of-the-art offices in Chicago’s Loop
- Solid programs in some of the staples: transportation, disability and life insurance
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and financial well-being of our team
- Breakfast and lunch options onsite, and more healthy snack options and beverages than you can imagine
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members
Additionally, Sprout Social participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law. We value the things that make us different and want to see how you can make our team better!