About The Opportunity
We’re all about connecting hungry diners with our network of over 300,000 restaurants nationwide. Innovative technology, user-friendly platforms and streamlined delivery capabilities set us apart and make us an industry leader in the world of online food ordering. When you join our team, you become part of a community that works together to innovate, solve problems, grow, work hard and have a ton of fun in the process!
Why Work For Us
Grubhub is a place where authentically fun culture meets innovation and teamwork. We believe in empowering people and opening doors for new opportunities. If you’re looking for a place that values strong relationships, embraces diverse ideas–all while having fun together–Grubhub is the place for you!
We are looking for an Engineering Manager who can provide technical and architectural leadership for a key Restaurant engineering team. You will conceptualize, design, build and deploy new and innovative products and services for the Grubhub Restaurant Platform to facilitate the wide offerings, capabilities, and feedback loops for our restaurant partners. Our Engineering Managers wear a lot of hats - including hands-on coding, managing developers, influencing our product vision, designing our system architecture and reporting up to a Director. We have high standards for code quality, all forms of testing, and intelligent architecture.
The Impact You Will Make
- Manage a team of software engineers - weekly 1x1s, bi-annual reveiws and career progression
- Architect, implement and test technology solutions at Grubhub
- Motivate and advise technical solutions across multiple cross-functional teams
- Take technical responsibility for a family of systems - manage technical debt, be on the lookout for opportunities for improvement, and work with system engineers to keep our production systems scaling and performing wickedly fast
- Actively contribute to the adoption of software architecture, best practices, and technologies.
- Facilitate your team's agile operations by overseeing all sprints, ceremonies, and the team backlog.
- Participate in future product direction
- Act as a technical voice for the restaurant engineering group
- Encourage continuous delivery and an experimentation-centered development process
- Mentorship including development and career planning for your team members
What You Bring to the Table
- Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Programming or Engineering related field
- 7+ years experience building highly-scalable consumer-facing applications (e-commerce preferred)
- Experience managing a team of Engineers (direct reports) and provides mentorship and career growth coaching in a formal setting
- Masterful understanding of: Java (5+ years experience) or Full-Stack Experience (React-Redux / Java) or Front-end (this is a full stack team of engineers)
- Experience architecting, designing and developing testable, fault tolerant, and performant software
- Masterful understanding of unit testing, integration testing, and load testing
- Mastery of service and system level architecture
- Experience successfully building distributed and highly available systems
- Experience with AWS and Cloud Infrastructure
- Experience and understanding of Non-Relational Databases
- Understanding Cassandra specifically is a plus
And Of Course, Perks!
- Flexible PTO/PTO. Grubhub employees enjoy a generous amount of time to recharge.
- Health and Wellness. Excellent medical benefits, employee network groups and paid parental leave are just a few of our programs to support your overall well-being.
- Learning and Career Growth. Your personal and professional development is a priority at Grubhub. We empower you to be a leader and grow your career through training, coaching and mentorship opportunities.
- MealPerks. Get meals on us! Our employees get a weekly Grubhub credit to enjoy and support local restaurants.
- Fun. Every Grubhub office has an employee-led Culture Crew that connects people through fun, meaningful events and initiatives like Wellness Wednesdays, Slack competitions and virtual happy hours!
- Social Impact. At Grubhub we believe in giving back through programs like the Grubhub Community Relief Fund and donating $1 million to the Equal Justice Initiative in 2020. Employees are also given paid time off each year to support the causes that are important to them.
- COVID-19 Response. All of our employees are currently working from home and will be for the foreseeable future. We look forward to seeing everyone in-office when it’s safe to return.
Grubhub is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity and encourage a workplace that is just as diverse as the customers we serve. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics. If you’re applying for a job in the U.S. and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please send an email to [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and contact information. Please note that only those inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
CA Privacy Notice: If you are a resident of the State of California and would like a copy of our CA privacy notice, please email [email protected]