At Sprout Social we are building software that is made to last. Our 20,000+ customers depend on us daily to connect them with their customers, so reliability, scalability, and performance are top of mind. Our software is used by companies like the Chicago Bulls, Sony Electronics, Indiana University, Make-a-wish Foundation, Edelman, and Subaru to create stronger relationships with their customers through social media. Each day, our platform processes 10s of millions of social media messages and our APIs handle over 10 billion requests per year to deliver our software to customers in over 100 countries.
We’re looking for an engineering manager to lead our SRE team within Infrastructure Engineering. This team’s mission is to:
- Ensure our core infrastructure is reliable, performant, cost-effective, and secure.
- Seek simplicity through standardization to minimize operational overhead, and maximize our product engineering teams ability to deliver new features and services efficiently.
- Empower product engineering teams to take on as much production ownership for their services as possible, through self-service tools and platforms with safety guardrails built in.
We strive to create “Paved Roads”: standard production-ready technology that all of our engineering teams can leverage to deliver value quickly. We do this with modern technologies like Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform and Chef. And we do it all by nurturing high trust relationships with the engineering teams we serve.
A key part of your role on the team will be that of 'player-coach,' working alongside your direct reports while also carving out time to help direct and support their professional development. You should be excited about writing and shipping production-level code and systems, but we want you to be equally excited about the trajectory of your team and your part in forming them as exceptional engineers.
We are looking for a creative, collaborative, highly motivated, and technical leader to help build highly reliable and scalable solutions for our engineering teams. If you are passionate about infrastructure, excited to guide other engineers with their careers, and want to be on a team that has a huge impact across all of engineering, we’d love to talk with you!
These are the minimum qualifications that our hiring team is looking for in this role:
- 2+ years experience technical-leading or managing engineering teams
- 6+ years building and maintaining reliable, scalable systems in a Linux/UNIX environment
- 4+ years experience with one or more infrastructure-as-code or configuration-as-code tools, such as: Terraform, Chef, Ansible, SaltStack, etc.
- 3+ years with one or more Cloud providers: AWS, GCP, or similar.
Additionally, these are the preferred qualifications that would indicate a particularly strong candidate:
- 4+ years experience in at least one programming language, such as Python, Java, Golang, Ruby, etc.
- Experience running production workloads in containers, and container orchestration frameworks such as Kubernetes, ECS, Mesos, etc.
Within 1 month, you will:
- Complete Sprout’s New Hire training program alongside other new Sprout team members.
- Develop and deploy changes to production systems.
- Receive feedback on pull requests and actively pair with teammates.
- Become familiar with how we use key technologies such as Terraform, Chef, and Kubernetes.
- Review the team’s mission, goals, and roadmap.
Within 3 months, you will:
- Shadow a team member for an on-call rotation.
- Collaborate with your team members and fellow developers to deliver value to our users.
- Engage regularly with the team, Infrastructure Director, and other stakeholders to prioritize upcoming project work to align with longer term goals.
- Gain familiarity with our platform architecture.
- Contribute to our team’s culture of continuous improvement through retros and experimentation-oriented thinking.
Within 6 months, you will:
- Lead the team to build, roll out, maintain, and improve our Kubernetes as a service platform for our entire engineering org (20+ teams and growing).
- Regularly collaborate with the team to identify technical debt and come up with a plan to improve, and weave that work in with projects.
- Join our on-call rotation (don’t worry we’ve got your back!)
- Write and encourage others to write software to solve infrastructure problems and toil.
- Meet with direct reports regularly and provide them with direct feedback on their work as well as formulating career growth plans.
- Lead efforts to maintain and improve the security, reliability, and scalability for our edge services.
- Work closely with Security to ensure a robust security posture for our infrastructure.
- Participate in Engineering management discussions in order to learn from peer managers and to share lessons learned.
- Build relationships with product engineering teams to understand their pain points, and the value their software delivers for our customers.
- Build your engineering skills by attending in-house presentations, workshops, and training sessions.
- Form a career growth plan with your manager and work towards it.
Within 12 months, you will:
- Help us shape our long term approach to infrastructure and configuration as code to maximize our efficiency.
- Work directly with other infrastructure team leaders and senior leadership across engineering and product to define and align SRE Core’s roadmap with the larger organization’s needs and goals.
- Complete career ladder and performance review evaluations for your direct reports.
- Actively mitigate risk of failed delivery and missed deadlines through courageous, transparent communication with colleagues and stakeholders throughout a project life cycle.
- Help promote and instill SRE principles like SLIs/SLOs/SLAs by working with engineers and product managers to understand how to make appropriate tradeoffs in reliability and performance of their systems and services.
- Mentor engineers, helping them level up technically.
- Build connections with members from other teams through active networking and community building.
- Have opportunities to contribute to in-house technical presentations and workshops that share your expertise with large groups of Sprout developers.
- Surprise us! Use your unique ideas and abilities to change your team in beneficial ways that we haven’t even considered yet.
Of course, what is outlined above is the ideal timeline, but things may shift based on business needs and other projects and tasks could be added at the discretion of your manager.
About Sprout Social
Sprout Social powers open communication between individuals, brands and communities through elegant, sophisticated software. We are relentless about solving hard problems for our customers and committed to both customer and team success. Our team’s shared belief in Sprout’s mission promotes a culture of openness, empowerment and fun.
We’re proud to regularly be recognized for our team, product and culture. Our benefits program includes:
- Insurance and benefit options that are built for both individuals and families
- Progressive policies to support work/life balance, like our flexible paid time off and parental leave program
- High-quality and well-maintained equipment—your computer will never prevent you from doing your best
- Wellness initiatives to ensure both health and mental well-being of our team
- Ongoing education and development opportunities via our [email protected] program, employee-led diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives and mentorship programs for aspiring leaders
- Growing corporate social responsibility program that is driven by the involvement and passion of our team members
- Beautiful, convenient and state-of-the-art offices in Chicago’s Loop and downtown Seattle, for those who prefer an office setting
Whenever possible, Sprout wants to provide our team with the flexibility to work in the location that makes the most sense for them. For those that prefer an office setting, this role may be based in our Chicago or Seattle locations. If you prefer to work from your home, we can accommodate that for many locations across the United States. We are not set up in all states, however, so please take a look at the drop down box in our application to see whether your state is listed.
Sprout Social is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and an Affirmative Action Employer. We do not discriminate based on identity- race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex (including sexual identity), age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, order of protection status, citizenship status, arrest record or expunged or sealed convictions, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law. Learn more about our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in our 2020 DEI Report.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at [email protected] and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. We'll do all we can to ensure you're set up for success during our interview process while upholding your privacy, including requests for accommodation. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this email address.
For more information about our commitment to equal employment opportunity, please click here (1) Equal Opportunity Employment Poster (2) Sprout Social's Affirmative Action Statement (3) Pay Transparency Statement.
Additionally, Sprout Social participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.