Are you looking to get to the next level in your career journey? Would you like to work with the world’s best problem-solvers, pioneers, and out-of-the-box thinkers?
We are looking to add a new Software Engineering Manager to support our Technology Team.
The Software Engineering Manager is a senior member of the Technology Team that reports to the VP of Technology. This role functions as the key point-person for helping manage the activities of a software development team, specifically around the support of our operations and new client implementations.
- Manage the engineering team that supports and develops features for the key backend and frontend systems that serve as a foundation for our day to day business operations.
- Oversee the support and development of our cloud based custom integration layer with core components that include batch, web services, and a NoSQL DB.
- Manage and continue to build on our reporting and analytics capabilities as the organization data needs continue to evolve.
- Is adept in simultaneously managing multiple short and long-term technology projects.
- Supervise and delegate duties to the development team
- Hire and train new developers and on-boards new employees, ensuring they become productive in as short a time as possible.
- Creates a training plan prior to new hire start date covering 30/60/90 day objectives
- Provides positive influence for the team - works to motivate the team and takes pride in what the team is building
- Conducts regularly scheduled (weekly preferred) 1:1 meetings to engage with employee on any relevant topic and offer support
- Establishes and communicates roles for team members
- Assist in career pathing of engineers.
- Help establish development standards for the team
- Works to establish a training plan with developers who require learning new technical skills
- Assign work to software engineering personnel and evaluate plus manages their performance.
- Supervise engineering deliverables.
- Writes Jira items when needed
- Ensures that the Product team is informed about the technical challenges and impact of their requirements and provides alternatives as appropriate
- Assists in planning sprints to ensure successful delivery.
- Mentors the team on areas to consider during scrum ceremony grooming.
- Contributes to PRs as necessary
- Identifies issues with team chemistry and actively works to resolve them, escalating to management as needed
- Accountable for delivering projects on their committed dates, balancing an appropriate technical approach with the business goals of delivering value to clients
- Help translation of business requirements into technical needs and actions.
- Ensure software engineering personnel are suitably trained to perform all job functions and suitably use project and software related tools.
- Helps the team balance roadmap goals with technical debt elimination / reduction
- Work closely with architects, QA, product owners, and project managers to ensure an appropriate technical approach is taken for the requirements provided
- Sets appropriate expectations for projects, especially when taking on work that isn't an ideal fit for a team's skillset or working with unfamiliar and complex systems.
- 5-7+ years professional work experience in software engineering management.
- Able to self-manage and prioritize daily work with limited direction
- Exceptional organizational skills and a strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Familiarity with both Agile and Waterfall software development lifecycles
- Ability to lead projects and have some prior experience in formal project management.
- Ability to estimate projects, work breakdown structures, and scrum/kanban style lifecycles.
- Forecasting resource utilization within a technology team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate effectively between different disciplines (development, creative, marketing, admissions, etc.) and personality types
- Professional software development experience in tech stacks such as Java Springboot, PHP Slim, MySQL, APIs, BitBucket/Git, AWS, React, Angular, HTML/CSS/JS, npm, and Yarn.
- Prior experience working in a containerized development environment. Exposure to Docker, AWS ECS and Lambda.
- Prior experience in batch processing, data architecture design, and data pipelines for analytics.
- Strong communication, leadership, and problem-solving skills
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in engineering or computer science
- Experience with Monday.com, Confluence, Google G-Suite, Jira, and BitBucket, Slack
- Experience simultaneously managing multiple projects for a large portfolio of clients
- Experience with Tablaeu and/or other reporting and analytics tools
- Experience working with capacity planning and demand management
- Experience working with web and software development teams
- Experience working with new business development teams or new product development teams
- Experience with scaling a development org during a strong business growth phase
- Bonus experience: 3+ years professional work experience in higher education
Everspring, Inc. is an ed-tech trailblazer. We create customized, integrated digital solutions that enable top universities to design and deliver their programs online, with excellence. Our exceptional technology platform and complementary services empower universities to focus on teaching engaging content that transforms lives.
We offer a range of full-service turnkey solutions and fee-for-service offerings, as well as a set of innovative standalone products. We deliver industry-leading outcomes in academics and instructional design; market research and program design; marketing and lead generation; recruitment and enrollment services; student support and retention services; and technology infrastructure and analytics. Our proprietary methodologies yield uniquely tailored solutions that drive tangible value for our university partners, their faculty, and their students.
Based in Chicago, Everspring serves a growing number of colleges and universities. Built In Chicago has named us one of the "Best Places to Work" in 2021.
Everspring is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Everspring makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.