Enterprise Cloud Architect
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
As part of the Enterprise Architecture organization within Discover, we are building the next generation of Container management platform. Openshift Container Management Platform(OCP), at its core, leverages Openshift for container management/orchestration for cloud-based deployments in public (AWS), private and hybrid cloud environments. If you are truly passionate about technology and enjoy being part of a highly innovative, collaborative team that leverages cutting edge technologies in the cloud & container space, then this role is for you! You will get to work with and make a difference in the world of Function-as-a-Service (FaaS), serverless architecture solutions, and services leveraging KNative. The ideal candidate will have domain expertise in cloud technologies and hands-on experience in the container space with Linux, OpenShift/Kubernetes.
The technical architect is accountable for proactively and holistically leading or supporting EA activities that guide the direction and development for technological responses to disruptive forces, and driving targeted business outcomes. Technologies may include application architectures, data center, infrastructure, cloud, mobile, and Internet of Things (IoT) technologies.
- Development of architectures for cloud-based deployments in public, private and hybrid cloud environments.
- Identify opportunities to transition capabilities to SaaS, PaaS and IaaS.
- Validate cloud architectures and ROI through proof-of-concepts.
- Defining governance models that promote the security and operational effectiveness of the cloud ecosystem.
- Support the formation of cloud service teams for the governance and administration of the cloud ecosystem through training and hands-on operational support.
- Evaluate technologies, tools and vendors in support of the cloud strategy.
- Developing reusable technical reference models to promote cloud adoption.
- Define and communicate standards and guidelines supporting application and data architecture integration of cloud services.
- Understands practical application of existing and emerging technologies, lays out an execution roadmap, operating models, and financial and organizational impacts.
- Works with EA and domain peers to analyze enterprise business context (business strategy and external trends) to derive technology architecture’s future state. This includes defining key requirements, principles, and architecture models that guide technology decisions for the enterprise. Drives consensus on strategy and approaches through all levels in the organization.
- Oversees technology implementation approach to derive earliest and highest value for the organization through implementation of new capabilities.
- Coaches, mentors, and collaborates with technical SMEs and peers to develop technology architecture that enables and drives new capabilities.
- Understand, advocate, and augment the business and IT strategies
- AWS/AWS Cloud Services
- Service Mesh/Istio
- CI with Jenkins or similar; Git/GitHub; Artifactory
- Agile development
- Linux shell/batch scripting knowledge
- Buildah, Podman, Skopeo
- Hashicorp Vault
- Rook, Ceph or similar
- Kubernetes Operators
- Golang or similar programming language
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or related field
- 6+ years of experience in Software Development, or related field
- 4+ years of experience in Lead/Architect role within 2 different technology domain areas
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or related field
- 8+ years of experience in the design of complex cloud architectures using SaaS, PaaS and IaaS in public, private and hybrid cloud environment
- Proven record of delivering cloud strategies and successful cloud migrations
- In-depth knowledge and hands-on experience with Microsoft Azure platform and services
- Experience in defining and applying governance for cloud services
- Comprehensive understanding of cost models for cloud services and experience evaluating ROI of proposed cloud architectures
- Experience working with large multi-region enterprise cloud architectures
- Experience in implementing governance and operations management structures supporting cloud services
- Knowledge of DevOps in reference to cloud development
- Demonstrable experience with container orchestration technologies such as Kubernetes
- Understanding of cloud security and its application to cloud architecture
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills able to engage with stakeholders at all levels
- Capable of working independently and in a geographically and culturally diverse team
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.