Front End Architect
At Otus, a fast-growing EdTech company based at 1K Fulton in the West Loop of Chicago, you will work with people passionate about improving the lives of teachers and students. We are a group of talented designers, developers, coaches, and leaders. We love what we do and strive to the best work we can each day.
On our team, you will find musicians, beer enthusiasts, designer toy collectors, table tennis fanatics, and more.
We are looking for a talented and highly motivated Front End Architect to help bring the best possible software solutions to educators.
As an early member of a growing team, you must possess a strong work ethic and be upbeat, driven, intelligent, well-organized, articulate, share a passion for learning new technology, and thrive in a fun, fast-paced environment.
You will have the opportunity to immediately contribute and see the results of your work in use by students, teachers, parents and district administrators across the country. This position reports to our Chief Architect/Chief Data Officer in our Downtown Chicago office.
- Otus is a building a next generation Platform for EdTech in order to support our transformative vision for K-12 education across the US
- The team will focus on building a number of cutting edge front ends to power the business for the next 5-10 years
- Collaborate with product, engineering and design to iterate on experiments and product features that immediately impact our customers
- Use technologies and tools like Angular 2 and Gulp to build out new UI features and maintain/improve existing ones
- Participate in design and code reviews
- Evolve our UI component library, standards and best practices to streamline development and ensure consistency across products
- Work across the organization to build out front end architecture that can scale to meet 1000s of requests in less than 1 second in smart and cost-effective ways
- Lead cross-functional initiatives and mentor and guide our engineering staff in the development of new and existing frontend technology
- Breadth - Substantial experience as a Front End lead engineer across multiple environments on microservice architectures.
- At least 1 project that demonstrates your experience in designing, testing, and implementing a large scale front end on a cloud platform - something that sees considerable traffic.
- At least 1 project that encompasses you leading a significant refactoring of an existing code base to be modern, modular, testable and fast.
- Depth - You can go up and down the client side stack from implementation, testing, performance, monitoring, and deployment.
- Speed - Experience with small teams that move fast -- all members are expected to be able to achieve maximum results with minimal direction
- Ownership and accountability - You own the things that you build
- Drive - When you see a need, you fill a need. You can step in where you see a need and push us all forward
Nice to Haves
- React/Redux experience
- Node/npm experience
- Gulp experience
- Familiarity with microservice architectures running on Kubernetes
- Design and UX skill set/experience
- Open source contributions to major projects
Benefits and Perks
- Competitive salary and stock options
- 20 PTO days a year, plus a day off for your birthday (or a loved one), an interest day (to do something you love) and paid holidays
- Up to 12 weeks of parental leave, and great work/life balance
- Flexible hours and work from home policy so you can be at your most productive
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Life Insurance and disability benefits
- 401K with an employer match (up to 4%)
- Working in arguably the best neighborhood in the city with the excellent food, drinks, coffee and donuts all within walking distance
- Working in an amazing office building with gym, rooftop deck, frequent social events, shuttle to and from train stations
Otus is an Equal Opportunity Employer and embraces diversity of every kind. You must be legally authorized to work in the US. Unfortunately, the company is unable to support sponsorships at this time.