Front End Engineer
Technology drives our business. Our team is made up of talented software engineers, infrastructure engineers, leaders and UX professionals. We care about technology as a craft and a differentiator. We bring our global products to market with a mix of software, cloud, data centers, infrastructure, design and grit.
Our Product Groups:
Individual Investor – building products like Morningstar.com and mobile apps for individuals like yourself
Institutional Investor – developing some of our flagship products like Morningstar Direct for institutional investors and our Advisor products for financial advisors
Workplace – this is where we build and provide our hosted digital advice platform for Retirement plans, 401K’s, etc. (what some call robo-advisors)
Data – this is the heart of Morningstar where all data is sourced, collected, transformed, calculated and distributed across the world
We are seeking a Front End Engineer with full-stack experience. This position will be part of an engineering team focused on updating Morningstar’s Web-based product suites. The position includes development of new systems and maintenance and improvement of existing applications. Candidates should have solid software engineering experience in building commercial-grade Web-based applications using modern SPA technology. You will work with other engineers to develop APIs and modernize the platform to build leading product experiences. A successful candidate will be able to play an active role in managing the prioritization of work in order to meet project goals. This position is based in our Chicago office.
- Create cascading style sheets (CSS) that are consistent across all browsers and platforms.
- Use an Agile approach to iteratively maintain and develop new functionality.
- Work with server-side engineers to build robust RESTful and/or SOAP-based Web services.
- Stay up-to-date on emerging technologies.
- Promote usability best practices.
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science, mathematics, or other related field.
- 1-2 years experience with SPA client-side frameworks such as Angular.js or Ember.js.
- 1-2 years experience with server-side technologies such as Node.JS, Java, or C#.
- Proven knowledge of enterprise software concerns such as security, scalability, transaction management, and concurrency.
- Familiarity with design patterns like MVC and MVVM required.
- Experience with XML and XSLT is a plus.
- Experience working in Scrum-based methodologies is a plus.
- Experience working with SASS, and build process management tools like Grunt or Gulp.
- Highly motivated individual with the potential and desire to learn new technologies and take on an increasing level of responsibility within the technology team.
- Ability to work independently, communicates effectively, and produces superior results.
- Experience within the financial services industry is desirable.
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.