We are PEAK6, a leading investment firm. You'll find us headquartered in the historic Chicago Board of Trade building, where we first opened our doors in 1997. It's been over 20 years since we were one of the first firms to develop sophisticated proprietary technology to use in our trading business. Today, we continue to leverage our technical ingenuity and operational excellence across several investment areas, spanning early-to-mid stage growth capital, operational control, trading, and e-sports, while always proving value to the customer. Throughout the years, we've built and operated several financial technology firms, and we continue to evolve. You'll find a bit of everything here, and we're always looking to take on new endeavors.
As a frontend engineer at PEAK6 Technologies, you’ll have a big impact on the firm across several businesses. You’ll write code, help evolve and shape our architecture and frameworks, and have opportunities to take on new, hard problems.
We value engineers who are proficient in multiple languages and frameworks because we know they can quickly learn the next one that comes up. We’ve recently been working with typescript and react but look forward to learning the next new thing.
What you’ll do all day
- Build sweet UIs – and the frameworks that drive them – on top of REST APIs designed in collaboration with your cross-functional team.
- Think through hard problems and solve them at all layers of the enterprise.
- Write self-documenting and well-tested code with an emphasis on sustainable development practices.
- Work as a part of small, productive development team that puts an emphasis on code quality, peer reviews, and strong engineering practices.
- Help grow the team by participating in interview loops, coaching and mentoring your colleagues, and improving our processes and practices.
What you need to succeed
- A degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or other demanding engineering degree (or equivalent work experience)
- 4 or more years of professional experience working as a part of a multi-person development team, doing code reviews, testing, CI, trunk-based development, and/or other modern software practices
- A strong proficiency and in-depth understanding of front-end technologies, especially TypeScript, React, and SCSS.
- The ability to understand business requirements and translate them into technical requirements.
- A passion for UX: you understand in your bones that page speed, asset size, and critical render path all affect your users. Pixel-perfect layout may or may not be your thing, but you know that a subtly bad form can ruin a user’s impression of your application.
- Adaptability: while you enjoy establishing process and standards, you understand the need to be flexible and enjoy trying new things.
- The ability to learn new and unfamiliar technologies quickly, as required.
- A practice of writing technical documentation, whether ADRs, design docs, or just sequence diagrams.
All of our employees have these traits. You should, too.
Life at PEAK6
We want you to like coming to work so we work really hard to make your job fun and different from any other.
As a frontend engineer at PEAK6 Technologies, you can enjoy:
- Generous medical, vision and dental plans
- Matching 401(k) programs
- Adoption assistance & family leave
- Sabbatical program
- Massage days
- Poker tournament with a grand prize of a World Series of Poker buy in
- Sports leagues
- Cornhole tournaments
- Annual PEAK6 Party
- Yoga classes
- Tuition reimbursement
- Lasik eye discount
- Philanthropy events
- Annual wellness screens and flu shots
- Bagel Fridays/expiration lunches
- Birthday gifts
- Charitable matching