Front-end Software Engineer - Design Systems at Morningstar
Morningstar brings inspired problem solvers together with one goal in mind-to empower investor success. At our core, we're one of the world's top investment research and data companies. But what sets us apart is how we take that data and research, and pair it with the latest technology and thoughtful design, to deliver insights with a purely independent view that address a wide range of needs for our customers. This foundation of research, data, technology and design uniquely positions us to provide a more complete set of services to investors all around the world-ultimately helping people make better decisions about their money, or the money they manage for their clients.
Our Design Culture
The Morningstar design team is dedicated to creating beautifully designed financial products and services so that people across the world can make the best investing decisions for themselves and their clients.We synthesizecomplex financial information into experiences that empower our users to deliver better outcomes. We do this by not only creating the look and feel of a product, but alsodriving product direction: prioritizing the biggest opportunities to support our users and the business, while maintaining a strong sense of product ownership and its resulting success.Thedesign organization is made up of several disciplines-visual, UX, communications, content, and research-united to help each other, and the whole company,grow. We're always seeking designers who are motivated, are driven to deliver user-centered outcomes, and are equally committed to craft and compassion.
Our Morningstar Design System team seeks a software engineer to help product teams deliver cohesive, well-crafted product experiences across our diverse portfolio. The position requires solid UI development skills fueled by a strong desire to help designers and developers achieve their goals through a systemic and collaborative approach to product development.
You'll be great at:
- Documenting and developing UI components.
- Helping maintain build tooling and automation.
- Providing technical support to internal users of the design system.
- Evaluating internal product teams' needs and updating the system to meet those needs.
- Working closely with design and product peers throughout the development process.
- Taking accountability for your code through all phases of development from requirements and design through release.
- Providing feedback to the team through daily collaboration and weekly critique sessions.
- Participating in the code review process to help uphold and improve development standards.
- Participating in team discussions to define quarterly objectives and long-term goals for the team.
You'll be an especially strong candidate if you:
- Have a passion for code quality including scalability, readability, performance, test coverage and browser support.
- Value customer and team success over individual productivity.
- Have a positive attitude towards learning new skills, receiving feedback, and acting on that feedback.
- Embrace a systemic and collaborative approach to product development.
Skills and experience necessary for this role:
- Experience with at least one modern front-end framework (Vue preferred)
- Experience with at least one CSS pre-processor (SASS/SCSS preferred)
- Familiarity with at least one modern bundling tool (Webpack preferred)
- Familiarity with data visualization libraries such as D3.js (Experience is a plus!)
- Familiarity with WCAG and general accessibility best practices.
- Experience working within an agile squad
- General knowledge of the modern front-end ecosystem (NPM, Yarn, Monorepos, Storybook, Single Page Applications, Server-Side Rendering)
001_MstarInc Morningstar Inc. Legal Entity