Front-end Software Engineer at Guaranteed Rate
We are looking for an experienced Front-end Software Engineer to help us change the mortgage industry completely!
The Financial technology space "Fintech" is booming and Guaranteed Rate is at the center of it. We are growing like crazy, and are one of the most successful Chicago startups. We are focused on automating the mortgage process for consumers. Imagine getting a mortgage with no email, no faxing, no stack of papers in 10 days or less instead of 40 or more! If you have been through the process of buying a home you know how amazing this will be. We are one of the largest lenders in the country and one of only 2 that is independent (not a bank) so we are in a good spot to win this race. We have already made tremendous strides and we are looking for someone who wants to help us finish the job and disrupt the entire industry.
Who is GR?
Guaranteed Rate is not your typical company and certainly not your typical mortgage company. We are technology driven, have tons of energy and we love what we do – great people and great products alongside our impeccable customer service (83 NPS, unheard of!). We’re in a River North office with exposed brick and duct work, windows we can actually open during the summer. The awesomeness doesn’t end there, we also have:
- Holiday parties? We got’em! Not just major holidays, any holiday….Mardi Gras, Valentine’s Day, St. Paddy’s Day, Opening Day, Boxing Day (for our Canadian employee), Sweetest Day, Groundhog Day, etc..
- Game room, library and white board paint for collaboration – yeah, it’s awesome.
- Access to our free GR nurse practitioner. Psshh who needs a doctor’s appointment when our nurse can do it all? Did we mention the free part?
- 401k with some matching, Blue Cross health care coverage – yup, dental and vision too, short-term disability, life insurance – we got ya covered on this one, legal assistance – for a small monthly fee.
- Oh and did we mention you get a big fat employee discount on the origination fees to get a new mortgage or refinance thru Guaranteed Rate?
So what do we want from you?
A few other things too
- Minimally 75% of your time will be hands-on coding - more is better.
- We have a teaching & learning culture, bring something to teach and be good at growing junior engineers.
- It’s a complicated industry and you need to communicate well with business stakeholders.
- Aid in improving standards and practices on your team (source control, testing, deployment, etc).
What you’ll bring to the table.
- A minimum of 5 years software front-end development experience focused on the web
- A minimum of 5 years HTML/CSS experience focused on bring design compositions to life.
- A history of working full-stack and ability to build and propose solutions at each level of the stack
- Ability to understand business goals, recognize client needs and link them to specific technical solutions
- Strong communications skills and a passion for mentoring
- Experience with HTML 5/ CSS 3
- Strong desire to learn new techniques and technologies
- Experience working with server web frameworks (Node.js a plus)
- Experience working with client web frameworks (React, AngularJS, etc.)
- Proficiency working on the back-end of the stack a big plus (Postgres, SQL, etc.)
- Proficiency using automation tools (Grunt, Gulp, etc.)
- Proficiency in HTML and CSS with a focus on responsiveness and mobile first development
- Proficiency working with pre-processor CSS tools a plus (SCSS, SASS, LESS)
- Familiarity with AWS and CI tools a plus
About Guaranteed Rate…
Guaranteed Rate is the seventh largest retail mortgage lender in the United States. Headquartered in Chicago, the company has approximately 195 offices across the U.S. and is licensed in all 50 states. Since its founding in 2000, Guaranteed Rate has helped hundreds of thousands of homeowners with home purchase loans and refinances and funded nearly $23 billion in loans in 2018 alone. The company has become the Home Purchase Experts® by introducing the world's first Digital Mortgage technology and offering low rate, low fee mortgages through an easy-to-understand process and unparalleled customer service. Guaranteed Rate won an American Business Award for its Digital Mortgage technology in 2016, ranked No. 1 in Scotsman Guide's Top Mortgage Lenders 2015, was chosen Top Lender 2016 by Chicago Agent magazine and made the Chicago Tribune’s Top Workplaces list five of the past six years. Visit rate.com for more information.