Vision: We are creating an alternative employment model for the future of finance work. By capitalizing on the rise of the freelance/gig economy, we are disrupting the $150bn antiquated accounting industry.
Through technology, we bring work directly to the highest quality finance and accounting professionals and provide them with the tools they need to manage and grow their own books of business. At the end of our day, our purpose is simple: Empower people to do what they love.
Culture: Collaboration is key to the Paro Home Team. Together, we curate an open environment and encourage constant feedback to create great experiences for our freelancers and guarantee success for our clients. We live and breathe our values and have a whole lot of fun along the way.
What We Do
We help growing companies gain confidence in their finances. Paro matches businesses with the highest vetted bookkeepers, accountants, financial analysts, and CFOs who provide remote, on-demand, hourly support when clients need it. We only accept 2% of applicants into our highly curated network of experts, so clients know they’re working with the best of the best.
Paro is seeking a self-starting fullstack software engineer to join our growing team of developers. The ideal candidate is excited about working in an open, collaborative environment and is eager to contribute to the shape and culture of our developmental process. You are creative, flexible and enjoy having impactful input to every aspect of the development life cycle.
Who You Are
You work hard, but also enjoy a good mid-day laugh, group coffee outing, or attempting a cross-office basketball shot (no prior basketball skills required). You thrive in an open, collaborative environment where consistent feedback and flat hierarchy are valued. You are a team player and look forward to close collaboration with fellow developers and end users.
If you’re: passionate about startups, pumped to be a part of growing something amazing, the kind of person who never settles and is always up to try something new, then we want you to join our team.
You also have:
- 2 - 4 years of web application development experience
- Experience creating and consuming API endpoints with Ajax and maintaining stateful application performance
- An interest in keeping up to date and implementing newer technologies like Socket IO in a MEAN stack or GraphQL via Apollo
- An understanding of coding fundamentals including Object Oriented Programming, Data Structures, Coding Patterns
- Sample portfolio (code or public facing web build) is required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to shift gears quickly and multi-task
- Self-motivated: you look for opportunities and take the initiative to improve what you’re working on
- You ask great questions and are naturally solution-oriented: you excel at solving problems, particularly in team settings
- Nice to have: Experience with back end PHP frameworks like CodeIgniter or Laravel
What You’ll Do
- Develop back end components in PHP to serve our custom in-house web application
- Implement front end components in our Angular 5 single page web app.
- Optimize our database and performance tune queries.
- Participate in developing machine learning / AI algorithms to automate our sales cycle (current expertise not needed)
- Collaborate with the development team to create and follow best practice coding principles
- Participate in regular bi-weekly development sprints and be prepared to use continuous improvement to regularly help shape our development process
- Think fast, work hard, and laugh a lot
- Have an aspiration to learn, grow, and succeed in software development
- Add to the culture and change the trajectory of our growth by being your awesome self
- Work efficiently while dodging soccer balls and shooting Nerf hoops
Nice to Haves
- Experience or familiarity with AWS, Github or Linux operating systems a plus.
- Competitive salary + stock options
- Fun and stimulating environment that propels career growth
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance Unlimited PTO – we trust you
- Flexible work from home policy
- Monthly happy hours and team outings
- Catered breakfast on Mondays and Fridays and snacks all week long
- Great office location in Gold Coast, steps away from public transportation
At Paro, we pride ourselves on our strong value-oriented culture—which we created together as a team—and look to bring on new team members who also embody these values.
Enjoy the journey
We bring energy to an antiquated and stale industry
We embrace fun
We don’t take ourselves too seriously
Have each other’s backs
We are a team; we win together and lose together
We can handle anything
We feel confident to take risks because we serve as each other’s safety net
We are a community, not just a workplace
Do the right thing
We don’t cut corners; we take a long-term view of success
We deposit in the Karma bank
We are loyal to clients and freelancers
We are transparent and don’t hold ulterior motives
Take Smart Risks
We believe that trying and failing is better than not trying at all
We think creatively about obstacles
We challenge assumptions
We are nimble
We invent new ways to do what we do
We want to be comfortably uncomfortable and encourage each other to take on new and more challenging projects
We are each accountable for every team member being their best and push each other and give others permission to push us
We bring our whole selves to work; we're cool with who you are, professional and otherwise!
We recognize that everyone brings something important to the table and that conflict helps us grow
We are sensitive to our differences; we value being yourself while making space for others to be themselves
We are committed to creating a culture of inclusion as we grow