Fullstack Software Engineer
We’re an early-stage, venture-backed startup based in Chicago building a new way to track and treat mental illness. Our mobile app monitors patients between office visits and collects continuous measures of symptoms, risk factors, and health behaviors. Using our platform, psychologists and psychiatrists gain access to actionable insights which help personalize and improve care.
Research shows that when clinicians take a measurement-based care approach, patients are 2.5x more likely to reach remission and will do so in 1/2 the amount of time. We’ve started by digitizing existing clinical measures and automatically delivering, scoring, and interpreting them for clinicians. In doing so, we’re building up a robust dataset of patient-reported outcomes and health behaviors. The long term vision is to use this data to build a better type of clinical measure, which takes into account things like exercise, sleep, movement, and more.
We started Blueprint because mental illness has silently grown into a deadly epidemic. Over 40 million Americans struggle with a mental health issue in any given year and the suicide rate has increased by nearly 30% since 1999. Nearly everyone has either struggled themselves or knows someone who is struggling with a mental health issue.
Yet, there’s a severe shortage of mental health providers — only 25,000 practicing psychiatrists across the country. Treatment is trial-and-error based, with over 70% of patients failing to respond to their first medication.
We’re strong believers that you can’t manage what you don’t measure. Despite the proven research around measurement-based mental health care, less than 18% of providers are practicing this way today because they don't have the time nor the platform to do so. That’s where we come in!
We recently launched version 1.0 of our measurement-based care software platform and closed a seed round of fundraising. We’ve got clinicians across the country piloting this platform with their patients. The next year is all about growth — our goal is to embed Blueprint into the lives of hundreds of clinicians and their tens of thousands of patients by the end of 2019.
It’s a challenging problem because we need to develop an experience that is personalized and dynamic to each clinician and each patient’s needs. Capturing the right clinical measures at the right time and understanding each patient’s symptoms, risk factors, and health behaviors is a crucial piece to the puzzle.
You’ll be an important part of our core team and will get your hands dirty in code from day one. You'll play a lead role in deciding how we should build new features, applications, and systems and will also influence what we should be building and why. You'll get a seat at the table in defining who else should be on our core team.
We find meaning in our work because it directly impacts an individual’s wellbeing and quality of life. For too long, mental healthcare has remained the same. While other industries and parts of our lives have improved drastically with technology, somehow mental healthcare has gotten left behind. We’re inspired and guided by the feedback we hear from clinicians and their patients about how our technology is making a difference in their lives. If we get this right, we have the potential to help millions of people across the globe.
We feel privileged to work on solving one of the most pressing problems of our time. If you’re excited by this challenge, we’d love to hear from you.
AS A FULLSTACK SOFTWARE ENGINEER...
• You have at least 5 years of experience shipping software as part of a product development team
• You feel confident playing a lead role in technical analysis & design, evaluating tradeoffs, and establishing best practices.
• You love exploring hard problems and solving them with data-driven, iterative software development.
• You have experience writing code across multiple languages, frameworks, and stacks. Our tech stack — Swift, React, NodeJS, and Python — is built on top of AWS. Experience in some or many of these languages/frameworks is a plus, but more importantly you’re a quick learner.
• You’re comfortable and eager to collaborate with designers, product people, and other engineers and have an intense focus on solving problems for the end-user.
• You know how and when to zoom out to the 30,000 foot view and when to roll up your sleeves and dive into the weeds.
• Salary: $100k - $140k
• Stock options
• Health insurance
• Flexible vacation
• Flexibility to work from home as needed
• Personal growth/development budget
• Paternity/maternity leave