Hardware Tech-2 at Ensono
We are hiring full-time Data Center Hardware Technicians to work in a Data Center at our location in Downers Grove, IL. The Hardware Technician will deliver hands-on expertise and perform operational tasks including rack/stack, cabling, understanding of switch/port configurations, and server decommissioning within the Data Center. Applicants must have at least 3-5 years' experience directly working in a Data Center to be considered for this role. Shift: Monday thru Sunday – 2-3-2 night X 12 Hr – 7:00 PM to 7:00 AM but shifts can change depending on business needs.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Rack and stack equipment and IT hardware in a corporate Data Center
• Troubleshoot and support server implementation and decommissioning within a secure, raised-floor environment
• Install support hardware for all devices to be installed in cabinets within a raised-floor environment
• Document problem resolution summaries using an online ticketing system
• Support 3rd party vendor activities
· Verification of status lights on, servers, devices, network devices (switches, modems, servers, or routers).
· Verification of power connections on servers and network devices.
· Installation and Verification of cables, cable connections and network devices.
· Work independently and in a team environment
· Candidate should have the ability to handle unique situations and trouble shoot Hardware failures as they occur.
· Knowledgeable with Mainframe installations and terminology
· Log, analyze and promptly take steps to resolve and/or escalate problems experienced by internal and external clients. Assist with root cause analysis and perform preventative measures to reduce future problems
· Maintain a high level of proficiency and provide in-depth knowledge related to the day to day activities.
· Ability to hand off/transfer ownership of ongoing projects, request and incidents to next shift through verbal and written documentation seamlessly.
Maintain documentation of hardware location and connectivity.
- Must have proficient working knowledge of raised floor management, computer, and network installations in a medium to large-scale computer center environment.
- They can define the physical layer including layouts of cabinets that contain servers, network hardware, disk, tape, and the technology that is required to satisfy client needs.
- They can provide for short and long term raised floor plans for business growth within the Data Centers.
- They are knowledgeable of fiber and copper cable, legacy and current technologies and infrastructure.
- They must be able to coordinate electrical installations for the equipment with the Facility Engineers.
- They are proficient in computer equipment specifications for power and cooling needs.
- Working knowledge of industry best practices of computer systems and associated components, telecommunications, and storage systems, redundant or backup power supplies, redundant data communications connections, environmental controls (e.g., air conditioning, fire suppression) and security systems.
- Preferred to have working knowledge of legacy environments i.e. AS/400 and S/390 or UNIX, and Windows operating systems and associated communications systems.
- The position benefits from experience in Production control activities, network operations, and Service Desk operations.
- Advanced, proven knowledge of cable installation.
- Training and experience working with the internals of computer hardware is required
- Bachelor Degree or 2 years of related experience.
- Able to follow the design plans of a cable infrastructure system.
- Hardware installation, troubleshooting, and repair skills in the area of network equipment.
- A+, Network + certification and/or PC maintenance work experience is desired.
- Training and education or equivalent technology training and experience are desired.
- Experience working in a medium to large-scale computer center environment is desired.