Head of Technology, Enterprise Architect
The Team: The technology organization is a collaborative global team that emphasizes empowerment to make decisions, willingness to try new things, and a fail fast approach. We are dedicated to leveraging data and research to create thoughtfully-developed financial products and services. This enables people across the world to make the best investing decisions for themselves and their clients. Our leadership encourages growth and promotes opportunities to take on new challenges within a flexible environment. We’re always seeking well-rounded and motivated individuals to join our diverse team that is committed to the craft of software engineering.
The Role: In this role, you will be responsible for establishing and operating the new Technology Architecture Office. You will coordinate a matrixed team of architecture champions to establish, evangelize, and uphold technology standards and best practices that improve development speed, quality, and flexibility. Success in this role requires an individual that can effectively balance squad autonomy and tech standardization to ensure the organization fully realizes the benefits of ecosystem simplicity and autonomous agile development. This role requires a leader with strong technology architecture experience as you work with technologists from across the organization. This role also requires strong influence, communication, facilitation, and organization skills as you will routinely be working through others to achieve results.
- Create the vision, strategy, and execution roadmap of the Architecture Office.
- Oversee the creation, proliferation, and periodic updates of Morningstar's architecture tenets, production readiness criteria, and other technology standards.
- Be a role model to the architecture champion team by serving as objective thought partners, evangelizing the technology standards, and balancing the needs of single teams with the needs of the broader business.
- Align support and commitment from senior technology and business leaders.
- Coordinate the efforts of architecture leads and architecture champions to improve understanding and adoption of Morningstar Technology standards and best practices deep within the organization.
- Oversee the creation, proliferation, and continual refinement of an architecture catalogue that increases speed, quality, and flexibility in our development efforts. Architecture catalogue includes: common architectures, repeatable patterns, best practices, and checklists that align to the Architecture tenets.
- Facilitate architecture office hours to improve knowledge sharing, understanding, and continuous improvement of the Architecture office processes.
- Understand enterprise technology needs and objectively evaluate technology options for major development and platform upgrades.
- Facilitate architecture review board meetings as needed to promote established architecture tenets and production readiness criteria and determine when it is appropriate to allow deviations of those standards.
- Periodically audit releases to ensure that architecture tenets and production readiness criteria have been fulfilled.
- Create and curate architecture knowledge for the organization.
- 10+ years of architecture, design and implementation experience in diverse and complex technology environments
- Experience building enterprise-class systems both on-premise and in public cloud with special consideration to security, uptime/stability, and performance
- Experience influencing the selection of technologies and tools
- Experience leading in a matrixed organizational structure without direct reports
- Excellent communications skills with the ability to interact with individuals throughout the organization of all levels
- Ability to influence other leaders throughout the organization
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or similar required
Morningstar is an equal opportunity employer.
001_MstarInc Morningstar Inc. Legal Entity