Java Developer - Software Engineer I
The AMA is a unifying voice and powerful ally for America’s physicians, the patients they care for, and the promise of a healthier nation. To be part of the AMA is to be part of our Mission to promote the art and science of medicine and the betterment of public health. Join the AMA team as a Java Developer - Software Engineer in Information Technology. As part of the team, you will analyze, develop and unit test software solutions (minimal complexity) for business problems. You will also develop, configure, unit test, implement, upgrade, document, maintain, enhance and support various software systems. You will be expected to conduct tasks and assignments as directed under moderate supervision.
Other Responsibilities will include:
- Work with the designated manager to provide operational system support. Participate in “break-fix” issue resolution. Assist proper validation with end users to ensure system issue resolution.
- Participate in system development life-cycle for maintenance and enhancements as well as new solutions; including requirements analysis, design and work estimation activities. In addition, some projects may require a more iterative approach to software development depending on the methodology being utilized. Develop exceptional software solutions to specified end user business requirements, user stories and complete unit testing for all software development.
- Participate in technology renewal activities such as applying new software upgrades, patches and completion of any required programming, testing and improvements.
- Report project status regularly to project manager. Proactively raise concerns, issues and risks regarding assignments to management in a timely manner. Share intellectual knowledge, learn and understand existing application systems, and participate in cross training with other team members.
- BS or BA degree in computer science or related field or equivalent experience is required.
- 1 to 3 years’ experience with software development and/or analysis in applicable information systems tools and technology. Broad technical skills necessary, with a solid understanding of internet/intranet technology.
- Java/J2EE experience required.
- Understanding of relational database technology preferred.
- Experience with version control software and source code repositories such as GitHub or Subversion a plus.
- Ability to develop, debug, data analysis, problem analysis, resolve issues, and unit test within web based application. Knowledge and understanding of the concepts and techniques of object oriented design development is desirable. Requires some support and guidance in some areas.
- Ability to work well with people from many different disciplines with varying degrees of technical experience and varying levels within the organization. Demonstrated ability to work well within a team of software engineers on project tasks.
- Ability to demonstrate effective problem solving capabilities required.
- Ability to work effectively within a team while being considerate with other team members required. Experience with collaboration tools such as SharePoint and Skype for Business a plus.
- Experience with more agile based or iterative software development methodologies a plus.
- Ability to effectively create unit test plan and ability to effectively unit test application development enhancements.
- Ability to express technical concepts effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to travel occasionally, work long hours and meet with vendors and mid-level business leaders.
The AMA offers competitive salaries, including an incentive plan; excellent benefits and progressive technology. Our office is a business casual environment and we respect work-life balance. Please apply for the position at https://ama-assn.csod.com/ats/careersite/jobdetails.aspx?site=2&c=ama-assn&id=1081&source=BLTIN The American Medical Association is located at 330 N. Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 and is convenient to all public transportation in Chicago.
We are an equal opportunity employer, committed to diversity in our workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment. As an EOE/AA employer, the American Medical Association will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and veteran or disability status.
THE AMA IS COMMITTED TO IMPROVING THE HEALTH OF THE NATION