Who we are
M1 Finance has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our boring, entrenched, and slow-moving competitors in the personal finance industry.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $2 billion of assets; we’re currently helping more than 500,000 people grow and manage their wealth with our industry leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures.
We mean it when we say, “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, read on!
What we’re looking for
The Internal Tools team is a sub-team of the Backend Engineering team, and it's our responsibility to make sure the day-to-day operations of M1 can happen smoothly and efficiently. As a member of this team, you'll be helping to stop financial fraud, improve M1's customer service, and generally make your coworkers' jobs easier. You'll contribute to full stack feature development for our critical internal applications, with support from our team of accomplished Backend Engineers. You’ll interface with other teams and leadership to understand the needs of the organization, then bring those requests to reality, paying attention to quality and identifying ways to improve. You’ll also have the opportunity to grow into more backend heavy development as you learn the tools and team.
What you’ll do
- Take the lead on building small and medium features for our internal tools and build larger features with guidance
- Contribute to the planning and design process for new features and improvements
- Ship code to production often
- Communicate with stakeholders to translate business needs into code
- Constantly look for ways to improve upon what already exists
- Be exposed to technologies such as Scala, Lagom/Play Framework, Kafka, Postgres, AWS services, Event Sourcing and CQRS
- Proven ability to write front-end applications in React
- Experience building back-end applications in Node
- Proficiency with using external API's via REST endpoints
- Familiarity with Graphql and Flow/Typescript is a plus, though not required
- Ability to work quickly and balance organization with adaptability
- Have an ownership mentality, with freedom to make your own design decisions
- Experience giving and receiving kind, honest feedback
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits to our actions
- Team oriented: In working together, we maintain low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud if our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according tour values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Competitive Pay and Stock Options
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- Unlimited PTO
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication with leadership
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym