Jr. Mechanical Engineer at Motorola Solutions
If you are a current Motorola Solutions employee, please click this link to apply through your Workday account.Company Overview
At Motorola Solutions, we create technologies our customers refer to as their lifeline. Our technology platforms in communications, software, video and services help our customers work safely and more efficiently. Whether it’s helping firefighters see through smoke, enabling police officers to see around street corners, or reliably keeping the lights on in homes and businesses around the world, our work supports those who put their lives on the line to keep us safe. Bring your passion, potential and talents to Motorola Solutions, and help us usher in a new era in public safety and security.
Department OverviewOur Applied Technology organization puts some of Motorola Solutions' brightest minds on unique, highly challenging projects. Based on decades of experience with our customers, we apply leading-edge technologies to support security and safety throughout the world. We engineer our products from start to finish and manufacture them in-house. We're known for low volume and high capability with focused specialization in areas including software-defined radios, advanced antenna solutions, artificial intelligence and machine learning, cybersecurity, signals intelligence and more. We can't tell you much more about what we do, but we can tell you it's amazing.
As a mechanical engineer, you will be a member of a small (2-6 person) multi-disciplinary team and will be responsible for design concepts of mechanical components and assemblies that meet product performance and expectations, reliability and robustness requirements, manufacturing processes and safety guidelines for mission-critical communication systems. You will also be responsible for maintaining products that are production level through continuous improvement which could include altering aspects of the products to meet alternative customer needs.
- Working with a team of product development and manufacturing engineers in all stages of the product life cycle.
- Creating and maintaining detailed CAD assemblies to include custom mechanical components, custom printed circuit boards, hardware, cabling, and various commercial components.
- Designing custom mechanical components applying knowledge of materials and manufacturing to determine how a part should be made, such as CNC machining, sheet metal forming, injection molding, over-molding, thermal forming, die cutting, and laser cutting to name a few.
- Applying sound engineering knowledge in the development of the products to meet stringent specifications such as Military Standards.
- Performing thermal simulations and analysis of prototype designs and incorporating results to enhance product design and robustness.
- Interpreting and generating 2D drawings per mechanical drafting standards. Understanding of tolerances and effect on design.
- Setting up and maintaining bills of materials and releasing mechanical prints. Supporting prototype/pilot builds.
- Performing mechanical verification tests per products specifications and writing test reports.
- Developing product build documentation to support manufacturing engineering and product transition from prototype to production.
- Reviewing production level bill of materials for cost reduction, long lead time parts, and accuracy to assist in production builds of products.
- Analyzing production level products for ways to improve manufacturability and/or function and then execute those improvements without disrupting production builds.
- Modifying designs and/or creating new product accessories to integrate products that meet potential new customer requirements.
- Designing and creating new accessories that work with current products; accessories include new cables, batteries, shipping cases, etc.
- Supporting trade shows through designing demonstration products and/or kits based on current products.
- The applicant must be a flexible, results-oriented problem-solver who requires minimal supervision. Projects may vary greatly from one to the next, so the applicant must thrive on variety and enjoy taking on new challenges.
- Ability to use the latest CAD tools such as PTC Creo 3D modeling and surfacing software, or equivalent, to design components and assemblies.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills. Familiarity with FEA computer simulation tools is highly desired.
- Strong communication skills. Ability to communicate and present conceptual ideas to technical audiences.
- Familiarity with material properties and design guidelines of mechanical commodities such as plastics, die castings and sheet metal stamping.
- Familiarity with six sigma methodology or green belt/black belt certification will be added advantage.
- Preference would be given to candidates with knowledge and application of Design for Manufacturability and Assembly
- Bachelor's (BS) or Master's (MS) degree in Mechanical Engineering or related technical field.
- Must be a U.S. citizen with ability to obtain necessary security clearance as required by government contract. Some contracts may have higher-level clearance requirements.
Position TypeNew Grad
Referral Payment PlanNo
Motorola Solutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran's status, or, any other protected characteristic.