NextCapital is the leader in enterprise digital advice. NextCapital partners with world-class institutions to deliver personalized planning and managed accounts to individual investors, whether they’re saving for retirement in a 401(k) or IRA or investing in a taxable brokerage account. Our open-architecture digital advice solution provides better outcomes for our partners and individual investors by offering integrated account aggregation, analytics, planning and portfolio management, and customizable advice methodology and fiduciary roles.
Learn more about NextCapital at www.themuse.com/companies/nextcapital
JOIN OUR TEAM
We’re looking for a talented and highly motivated Jr. Quantitative Financial Engineer to join NextCapital Advisers’ Advice Finance team. The Advice Finance team is responsible for NextCapital Advisers’ proprietary advice and investment methodology, and plays an instrumental role in working with Partner institutions in developing and maintaining advice solutions even when NextCapital Advisers is not playing a fiduciary role. The Advice Finance team is made up of both quantitative and qualitative experts with experience in a variety of financial disciplines, working together to facilitate the delivery of personalized planning and managed account solutions across ‘workplace’ and ‘retail’ management opportunities.
***At this time, NextCapital does not offer future sponsorship for this position***
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Make an immediate impact by designing and building well-tested, efficient and reusable quantitative analytic models and scalable software.
- Add value by understanding key business or team requirements underlying new features and providing constructive feedback on both technical and non-technical design considerations to a variety of audiences.
- Reduce risk through design, development, and implementation of software quality standards and procedures to maintain high levels of software quality and product reliability.
- Improve the quality of production algorithms by writing test plans, scripts, and producing other documentation for various functional and non-functional testing activities.
- Design and maintain robust databases and streamlined processes to intake data (such as large third party financial data sets or data feeds from institutional partners) that feeds critical advice and investment algorithms.
- Research, monitor, and implement updated advice and investment configurations that, for example, reflect critical industry financial data within NextCapital’s advice and investment solutions.
- Perform quantitative financial research in a variety of fields/topics, including market dynamics modeling, historical research and backtesting, prototyping of quantitative investment strategies, impact analysis of changes to NextCapital’s methodology affecting real users.
OUR TOOL KIT
We believe in using the best tool for the job, and also relying on the strengths of our team. Here are the key technologies that we use everyday:
WHO WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- You have experience designing and writing high-quality code using Matlab, Python, and Ruby (Java a plus).
- You have experience working with, and strong knowledge of, the retirement planning industry, financial markets, financial mathematics, and computational finance (statistics).
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Operational Research, Financial Engineering, or other relevant degree. Ideal candidates will have degrees or relevant experience spanning the disciplines of computer science and finance.
- You’re a strong candidate if you are on track for industry certifications, such as CFA, SOA, CFP, CPA, FRM, CRPC, CIPM etc. Passage of CFA level I (or progress on other relevant certification) preferred.
- Proficiency with one or more programming languages listed here: Matlab, Python, and Ruby/JRuby. Advanced spreadsheet modeling capabilities with Google Apps Scripting Expertise or VBA for Applications for fast prototyping and Java experience are both plusses.
- Comfortable reading & writing code, and can clearly communicate (both written and oral) technical and non-technical concepts to diverse audiences.
- Exceptional analytical, critical thinking, and quantitative skills.
- You thrive in a fast paced environment and are able to pivot efficiently when priorities change.
- You are highly self-motivated and have the ability to work independently.
- You have sharp analytical abilities, which allows you to identify and proactively solve problems.
WHERE THIS ROLE MAY LEAD YOU
- Senior-level engineering roles within NextCapital Advisers.
- Opportunity to cross-train on areas of interest and contribute to the team’s research agenda and potential publications.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE IT
- Disrupt the financial advice industry by bringing affordable, easy to use financial tools to millions of people.
- Receive great benefits like stock options, employer 401(k) match, and employer contributions to health, dental and vision coverage.
- Enjoy a stimulating work environment surrounded by top quality researchers and engineers that enjoy working with each other towards a common goal.
- Get in on the ground floor of a growth stage company where you can have a real impact on the company's future.
- When the COVID-19 pandemic cools down, participate in company-sponsored cornhole leagues, company outings, wine tastings, fantasy football leagues, hackathons and other fun events
- When our pandemic ‘remoteness’ ends, enjoy a newly built out office on Michigan Avenue with a view of Millennium Park and Lake Michigan
- And, yes, when we’re able to safely re-convene in a physical space, sip locally roasted coffee, kombucha, or craft beer at your modular sitting/standing desk
- Participate in women in tech events and service days at local organizations
- Relax with monthly, company wide, guided meditation sessions