Junior Software Engineer
We deliver the most advanced and flexible learning experience for certification, credentialing, test prep, continuing education, and training. Our cloud-based learning platform is designed to help education and training organizations deliver a highly engaging and effective learning experience for users who are trying to advance their careers. With almost 1M active users last year, we incorporate the latest in learner-centered technology, including personalization, gamification, data science, usability, and omni-channel delivery.
We’re sitting in a pivotal time in the BenchPrep history. After just closing a $20 million series C round of funding, we’re fueled for growth. We’re ready to enhance our product offering, extend our position in the education and training industry, and scale our (humble) team.
We’re committed to helping students learn better, and that starts in our own office.
About the role:
You will join a high-functioning engineering scrum team in a profitable start-up, building green-field projects as well as improving upon existing top-of-the-line products. In this role you'll get to own projects with real user impact and be in a great team of passionate engineers in a fun, collaborative, and engaging environment.
Some challenges you’ll tackle:
- Build and help maintain BenchPrep's suite of web applications
- Gain exposure to a wide variety of aspects of web development during 3-month functional team cycles
- Work closely with designers, product management, and business stakeholders
- Develop features to help end users learn better and our customers to make data-driven decisions
- Receive mentorship and guidance from fellow members of the engineering team
About the team:
Our engineering team is a talented, dynamic group of individuals with diverse backgrounds and skill sets. We value new ideas, as well as the opportunity to work with new and exciting technologies, while we work toward a common goal of helping millions learn better and faster.
- Have solid knowledge of algorithms and data structures
- Have some experience developing web applications (professionally or in an education setting)
- Have experience in a full stack environment, either professionally or in an education setting
- Experience with dynamic languages is preferred
- Be curious about ever-changing technology
Life at BenchPrep:
We work at BenchPrep because we’re dedicated to the mission and each day have an opportunity to be challenged and learn. We work hard, eat well, and have lots of fun. Culture is our lifeline at BenchPrep. We tend to eat our (free) lunch together - not because we have to, but because we want to. We celebrate our people, both professionally and personally. We focus on flexibility - both in work/life balance, but also everyday in operating with agility. We care about professional development so much that we offer employees $1,200 annually to build their skills. And of course, we have all the La Croix and snacks that you’d expect to keep you moving. It’s no wonder we were selected in Built in Chicago’s 50 Best Small Companies to Work For in 2019, and Crain’s 2019 Best Places to Work in Chicago lists.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We are looking for high performing and motivated professionals who are excited about the chance to leverage technology to impact the lives of millions of learners.