Lead API Web Developer
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
We are investing in APIs and Micro services as the way of the future and forming a team to drive our Hybrid Cloud API strategy and developer experience forward for both world class external and internal platform capabilities. Example of some of our APIs: Apple Pay, Amazon Pay with Rewards, Samsung Pay etc.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, highly skilled, hands-on individual who will be responsible for leading and optimizing API development/testing process, systematically reducing cycle time and introducing built-in-quality. Expectation of this role is of a senior software engineer to support the API management, Web/API Portal and security for industry leadership, with built in automation.
- Develop and deliver capabilities for API management, Web/API Portal, and business specific product/incubation needs.
- Diagnose, troubleshoot and fix production issues. Solve complex technical problems and design issues, identify right solutions, and take proactive actions to resolve/prevent production issues.
- Lead and participate in R &D, Architecture, Design Analysis and Proof of Concept activities as part of in new technology initiatives.
- Design, develop, validate, deliver high quality software for large scale distributed systems, on time following agile methodology
- Development and delivery of UI/Web App/Java Script and API interfaces with the right tools and frameworks to support Discover’s developer portal
- Develop shared security policy snippets, platform APIs and language specific utilities, primarily in Java. (other scripting/languages such as C##/.Net and Python a plus)
- Understand and implement industry aligned security standards such as OAUTH and JWT and work with Enterprise Architecture to define shared solutions for broader consumption
- Work with cross-functional teams to design and implement a common CI/CD/Jenkins pipeline and automation/deployment to accommodate changes
- Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to Discover’s required standards and processes
Our Tech Stack:
- Java, Spring, REST API, SOAP
- Jenkins, GitHub, Nexus, Chef, Ansible
- API Management platform, CA Policy Manager, API Portal and Gateway
- GitHub, CI/CD Pipeline, Jenkins
- PCF, Linux, Cloud Foundry, AWS
- Oracle, AWS/RDS
You will be successful at Discover if you can:
- Be a thought leader and develop skillsets of agile team in product development, solution delivery, creation and reviews of source code, test cases and automation
- Break down complex requirements into workable technical solutions to solve the product owners problems
- Collaborate with developers on peer-programming, code reviews and process enhancements
- Bring innovation in creating a world class developer experience
- Ready to learn, and actively contribute to instill best practices
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor’s Degree (Computer Science or MIS preferred) or equivalent work experience
- 6+ years hands-on experience in information technology, software design, development, building and supporting scalable, high-performance applications
- Hands on experience with designing, building, testing, securing, publishing and supporting REST APIs, REST security, Open APIs, Micro services, and SOA/REST/SOAP
- Hands on experience with Java, Spring boot, spring security, LDAP, Active Directory, Git, Jenkins, cloud concepts, CI/CD, Groovy, Gradle, Nexus, and SonarQube
- Knowledgable in industry best practice for governing APIs and security frameworks like JWT, OAUTH, Encryption, Signing/Hashing methodologies OWASP/OSSTMM
- Understands the concepts of Cloud, Continuous Delivery, Test Driven development and Automation and testing frameworks – Selenium, REST Client, Soap UI, REST Assure, Client UFT
- Experience leading small to medium sized development teams in an Agile/SCRUM environment
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a team environment and take ownership of delivery
- Ability to work under pressure of multiple projects and deadlines
- Ability to effectively prioritize workload and manage changes in direction
- Ability to interpret and apply required policies and procedures
Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran status, among other things, or as a qualified individual with a disability.