Lead API/DevOps Engineer
Discover. A more rewarding way to work.
At Discover Financial Services, you’ll find yourself in the company of some of the industry’s smartest and most reliable professionals. And at a company that rewards dedication, values innovation and supports growth.
Thrive in an environment that promotes teamwork and shared success. Build on a foundation of mutual respect. Join the company that understands rewarding careers like no other, with this exceptional opportunity:
Discover is investing in APIs as the way of the future and forming a team to drive our API strategy forward for both world class external and internal platform capabilities.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, proactive, highly skilled, hands-on individual who will be responsible for leading and optimizing API development/testing process, systematically reducing cycle time and introducing built-in-quality.
Expectation of this role is of a senior solution engineer who is a hands-on developer, leads the team and supports API management, security technologies for industry leadership, drive/deliver product features with end-to-end automation.
- Develop and deliver capabilities for API platform, Web/API Portal, and business specific product/incubation needs. 50%
- Diagnose, troubleshoot and fix production issues. Solve complex technical problems and design issues, identify right solutions, and take proactive actions to resolve/prevent production issues. 25%
- Lead and participate in R &D, Architecture/Design Analysis and Proof of Concept in new technology initiatives. 25%
- Design, develop, validate, deliver high quality software for large scale distributed systems, on time following agile methodology
- Develop shared security policy snippets, platform APIs and language specific utilities, primarily in Java. (other scripting/languages such as C##/.Net and Python a plus)
- Understand and implement industry aligned security standards such as OAUTH and JWT and work with Enterprise Architecture to define shared solutions for broad consumption
- Work with cross-functional teams to design and implement a Common CI/CD pipeline and automation /deployment to accommodate changes in system design or architecture or environments
- Maintain and monitor the quality/effectiveness of source code, CI/CD pipeline, automation and testing process, and ensure alignment of goals and capabilities
- Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to Discover required standards and processes
- Drive efficiency from development through delivery of UI/Web App and API interfaces with the right tools and frameworks
Our Tech Stack:
- Java, Spring, REST API, SOAP
- Jenkins, GitHub, Nexus, Chef, Ansible
- API Management platform (FKA: Layer7) policy authoring using CA Policy Manager, API Portal and Gateway
- CI/CD Pipeline Automation using Jenkins
- Horton Works, Spark, Storm, Kafka
- PCF, Linux, Cloud Foundry, AWS
- Oracle, AWS/RDS
- Variety of scripting languages
You will be successful at Discover if you can:
- Be a thought leader and develop skillsets of agile team in product development, solution delivery, creation and reviews of source code, test cases and automation
- Break down complex requirements into workable technical solutions to solve the product owners problems
- Collaborate with other developers on peer-programming, code reviews and process enhancements
- Bring your innovation in creating a world class developer portal and contribute/enhance our internal and external developer experience
- Ready to learn, and actively contribute to instill best practices to support a strong software architecture
- Bachelors Degree (Computer Science or MIS preferred) or equivalent work experience
- 6+ years hands-on experience in information technology, software design, development, building and supporting scalable, high-performance systems
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities:
- 2 years of experience in API and SOA development/testing frameworks/tools – like REST Client, Soap UI, Client UFT
- Experience with industry best practice for governing APIs, working, hands-on knowledge of REST, REST security, and Open API
- Experience leading small to medium sized software development teams in an Agile/SCRUM environment
- Understand the concepts of Continuous Delivery, Test Driven development and Automation
- Hands on experience working with Java, Spring boot, spring security, LDAP, Active Directory, Git, Jenkins, cloud concepts, CI/CD, Groovy, Gradle, Nexus, Git, and SonarQube
- Designing, building, securing, publishing and supporting of APIs (REST/SOAP), Micro services
- JWT, OAUTH, Encryption, Signing and Hashing methodologies OWASP and OSSTMM
- Understand the concepts of reactive programming, Web technologies (Javs Script, PHP, ASP.NET, AJAX, etc.) and application security techniques/challenges
- Must have experience working with Linux/UNIX and write bash scripts.
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work under pressure of multiple projects and deadlines
- Ability to work in a team environment and take ownership of delivery
- Ability to effectively prioritize workload and manage changes in direction
- Ability to interpret and apply required policies and procedures
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.