Lead Cloud Engineer at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
At Discover, be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers and is consistently awarded for both. We’re all about people, and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Are you looking to be on the leading edge of technology and automation? Do you seek a highly modern DevOps team suited to take on the unique and fast paced challenges of bringing a Fortune 500 company into the public cloud? The Cloud Engineering team at Discover Financial Services may be the place you have been looking for. As a lead on the Cloud Engineering team, you will be responsible for driving the engineering strategy, evolving Discover’s AWS implementation, and maintenance of regular DevOps practices. The AWS space moves fast, and the Cloud Engineering team adapts on the fly with the help of regular Agile methodology.
The scope of this role includes building, managing, and supporting core infrastructure and security services in AWS to deliver highly available and scalable services, automating everything to minimize manual work and meet security and compliance objectives in all aspects of the secure cloud ecosystem, use native AWS infrastructure services such as IAM, Config, Lambda, EC2, Autoscaling, Cloudwatch, etc., perform basic system administration tasks, and serve on the on-call team as an escalation contact for service incidents.
Responsible for the technical design, development, monitoring and ongoing support and maintenance of a diverse set of cloud technologies. The role is a technical, hands-on opportunity with a heavy focus on automation, resilient design and deployment of cloud ready systems and services. This role collaborates with Product teams internal and external to IS to provide world class products and services in support of our application development community and our business as whole. This is a ‘DevOps’ positon, responsible for the full-stack engineering and support of products that support our hybrid cloud capabilities.
- Builds, delivers, and maintains modern cloud platforms that support agile teams.
- Drives continuous improvement of products & capabilities though internal user groups and external market research
- Partners with key stakeholders as a platform champion for cloud-native systems, and coaches on how to use platform capabilities effectively through appropriate venue
- Architect and engineer complex AWS Solutions
- Collaborate with product owners and managers to evolve AWS strategies
- Accountable for developing and implementing complex automation tasks.
- Provide technical guidance and mentoring to less experienced engineers.
- Implement Configuration Management and Infrastructure as Code (e.g. Terraform, Chef, CloudFormation, Puppet, Ansible)
- Assist with estimating work efforts required for each phase of a project.
- Identify and raise technical risks.
- Maintain working knowledge of IT industry and trends.
- Integrate with the external community (eg. run meetups, speak at conferences, write blog posts/publications)
- Promote a risk-aware culture, ensure efficient and effective risk and compliance management practices by adhering to required standards and processes.
- Participate in regular Agile ceremonies.
At a minimum, here’s what we need from you:
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, or related field
- 4+ years of experience in Application or Platform Development, Consulting or related field
- 1+ years of experience in Team Lead or related
If we had our say, we’d also look for:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology or related field'
- 7+ years of software engineering experience
- AWS, Azure, or Google public cloud experience in a production environment
- Demonstrates growth mindset, enthusiastic about learning new technologies quickly and applying the gained knowledge to address business problems.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Management Information Systems/Computer Science or related field
- Comfortable working on agile-based teams comprised of team members with diverse skill-sets (e.g. Quality Assurance Engineers, User Experience Designers, Software Engineers / Architects)
- Capable of collaborating with stakeholders and project leaders to understand requirements, deliverables, and set expectations on tasks that you will be responsible for.
- Consistently demonstrates follow-through in honoring commitments to customers and colleagues. Accepts the challenge of unfamiliar tasks.
#Remote #Bi-Remote #LI-BG1
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.